5 cent Netherlands 2020 without mint and mintmaster marks?

Started by eurocoin, July 09, 2020, 06:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

A Dutch 2020-dated 5 euro cent coin has been found in circulation without mint and mintmaster marks on it. It does not appear that the marks have worn off, or that the die was worn. Rather it appears that the marks were never there. It is the first 2020-dated Dutch 5 euro cent coin that was found in circulation.

Last year there was a discussion whether the changed Coinage Act that came into force earlier this year meant that Royal Dutch Mint was no longer able to include mintmarks and mintmastermarks. The Dutch treasury assured that this was not the case. It commented that although the parts about mintmark and mintmaster mark were indeed omitted from the Coinage Act, the Act stipulated the minimum requirements and that the mint and mintmaster were still allowed to add their marks on the coins.

eurocoin

I have asked the Royal Dutch Mint about this and expect to receive a reply tomorrow. The coins in the Dutch coin sets of 2020 do depict mint and mintmaster marks. A photo of the piece that was found in circulation:

eurocoin

Royal Dutch Mint has informed me that as of 2020, the Dutch coins that are being produced for general circulation will no longer depict the mintmark and mintmastermark. Only the coins in collectors editions like coincards and coin sets will depict these marks.

I do not understand this decision. Collectors who collect the Dutch standard coins already had to buy the mint sets anyway as only 1 or 2 denominations are each year being released into general circulation.

These marks have been added on the Dutch coins for hundreds of years. It is bad that this tradition is (mainly) being trashed now that only the coins in collectors editions will still depict them.

Angus

I think the 5c coin is the only one that is being issued for general circulation this year, is that right?

eurocoin

Quote from: Angus on August 21, 2020, 01:19:09 PM
I think the 5c coin is the only one that is being issued for general circulation this year, is that right?

That is correct.

Prosit

eurocoin

Quote from: Prosit on August 21, 2020, 04:15:16 PM
Can someone show a coin showing the mintmark?
Dale

A photo of the 2020-dated Dutch 5 euro cent coin that has the marks on it can be found here on the website of forum member Angus.

Angus

I'd really like to get hold of one of the ones without a mintmark, but I haven't seen any for sale or swap.

eurocoin

A collector on a Dutch coins forum noticed that although the Dutch government made changes to the Dutch Coinage Act to amongst other things try to omit the mandatory inclusion of the mintmark and minstmastermark, they forgot to change a part of the Dutch legislation because of which Dutch law still requires all Dutch coins to depict a mintmark and mintmastermark. The omission of the marks on the 5 euro cent coins of the Netherlands dated 2020 was therefore unlawful.

Angus

Interesting, thanks.  I did manage to get hold of one in the end (shouldn't have been that difficult given there are 10m of them!).  I understand there won't be any without mintmarks this year.

Compare and contrast:

http://www.eurocollection.co.uk/Vnl27.html

redlock

Quote from: eurocoin on March 08, 2021, 10:41:36 AM
The omission of the marks on the 5 euro cent coins of the Netherlands dated 2020 was therefore unlawful.

Will there be any consequences for the responsible parties?

eurocoin

Quote from: redlock on March 08, 2021, 08:03:55 PM
Will there be any consequences for the responsible parties?

I do not think so. Although it is not smart that this has happened and the coins are currently unlawful, it appears to me that legally a change can be made to the legislation and that that change can be given retroactive effect until 1 January 2020. So that would repair their mistake. However for that to happen of course they first need to find out about their mistake.

eurocoin

Today I had a conversation with a senior executive of the Ministry of Finance which seemed positive and I am hopeful that maybe the mintmark and mintmastermark will return on the Dutch circulation coins. 

Angus

eurocoin

When the amendment of the Dutch coinage act was open for public consultation I sent a letter to the treasury to question why the articles in the Act about the mintmark and mintmastermark were going to be omitted. In reply to my remarks, the State Secretary for Finance promissed that the tradition of adding mintmarks on the Dutch coins would continue. I was therefore surprised and not amused that suddenly for some reason they were taken off of the Dutch circulation coins. The particular State Secretary had in the meantime resigned over his many failures but I nevertheless recently sent a letter to the Treasury about this matter which led to the constructive conversation I had today. We have added these marks on all Dutch coins for hundreds of years and that is exactly how things should remain.

In terms of Dutch euro coins indeed this one may become unique.