News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Canada 5 Cent Nickel 1977 - high or low "7"

Started by CameronK, July 06, 2020, 02:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CameronK

Hello - for the life of me, these two looks like 'medium' 7-s! Can I get opinions? Thanks so much.
Why? I coax stories out of unidentified coins.

brandm24

They both look like low 7 varieties, CameronK. On the high variety the second 7 in the date is raised slightly above the first. It's easiest to see by looking at the to top horizontal bar of the number. Not a big difference, but obvious enough. I'll see if I can find a picture to post.

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

Here's a picture that shows the difference fairly well. I think the lighting is distorting the image a bit because it's hard to see the difference in the height of the last 7's. The difference in the relative positions of the bottom of the numbers are more telling. It's actually easier to compare two lightly circulated specimens as the glare and distortions from these highly brilliant ones are distracting.

Bruce
Always Faithful

CameronK

Ahhhh... looking at the bottom of the 7 is instructive. Thanks so much for the opinion and picture!
Why? I coax stories out of unidentified coins.

brandm24

No problem. I enjoy these little mysteries too.

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

I looked around and found a picture that shows the difference more clearly. No glare to this one so it's easier to see.

BTW, do you have examples of each in your collection?

Bruce
Always Faithful

Globetrotter