Coinage of Paraguay since 1975

Started by <k>, July 05, 2020, 11:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

The reverse of the nickel-plated steel 1000 guaraníes coin.

The design depicts the National Heroes Pantheon.

<k>

Here you see the Pantheon on an old Paraguayan banknote.

<k>

Paraguay's National Pantheon of Heroes.

<k>

The brings the subject up to date. Any comments?

<k>

Interesting to see how many variations there are of some of the coins. Just how many can you get? I expect some country holds the record for variants of modern circulation coins, but it's not something you can easily find out.

That makes me wonder now how many variation types there are and how they are classified or numbered in catalogues. There are differences in weight, size (diameter, thickness), alloy / colour, and minor legend variations - as well as mint marks and other marks.

<k>

It's unusual to see a Latin American coin series devoted to military heroes these days. I think the current series of the Dominican Republic is similar. In recent years even Uruguay and Colombia have switched to wildlife-themed sets and moved away from those old fashioned military heroes.

<k>

I have learned in recent months that the Canadians and citizens of the USA do not like 50 cents coins, even though they are minted for those countries.

In the case of Paraguay here, there is no 20 or 25 cents coin but there is a 50 cents coin. That must be unusual. How many circulation coinages do you know that jump from a subunit of 10 to 50? Can you think of any others right now?

<k>

Some of the designs shown here in the Paraguayan series varied considerably over the years.

See: Guatemalan and Paraguayan variations.

<k>

Paraguay: floral set.

Many years ago, Paraguay had an attractive floral series.

See: Paraguay: floral set of 1944 to 1951.

redlock

Quote from: <k> on July 06, 2020, 07:45:01 PM
How many circulation coinages do you know that jump from a subunit of 10 to 50? Can you think of any others right now?

(West) Germany and the good, old Deutsche Mark.  ;D
1, 2, 5, 10 and 50 Pfennig. No 20 Pfennig coin.

<k>

Quote from: redlock on July 06, 2020, 08:51:12 PM
(West) Germany and the good, old Deutsche Mark.  ;D
1, 2, 5, 10 and 50 Pfennig. No 20 Pfennig coin.

Of course. How could I have forgotten? I was there a few times back in the 1970s.

<k>

Figleaf

Quote from: <k> on July 06, 2020, 07:45:01 PM
How many circulation coinages do you know that jump from a subunit of 10 to 50? Can you think of any others right now?

Japan 1926 to date. Israel 1980 to date. Cabo Verde 1930-1977, Brazil 1988-1994, Yugoslavia 1994 until dissolution, Italy 1944-1957. I suspect there are more series. It makes good sense for countries that expect future high inflation (perhaps because there is high inflation to begin with) to issue a 1-5 series without either a 20 or 25. It is the shortest series you can get away with and whatever coins you make would soon be worthless.

What I find remarkable that all the portraits of "national heroes" are military men.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

Several of the Paraguayan coin designs in this series were taken from banknote designs.

See: Coin designs that were taken from banknotes.