News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Morocco 1 Dirhem 1188? - Mint uncertain

Started by andyg, October 23, 2009, 09:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

I must confess to being rather baffled with this one  :(
Weight is 3g
Diameter 20mm
about the same size as a UK sixpence.

Overlord

To me the basic fabric seems to bear resemblance to the Dirhams struck by the 'Alawi Sharifs of Morocco. The year on the coin (in Arabic numerals) seems to be AH (11)88, which falls during the reign of Sidi Muhammad III (AH 1171-1204; 1757-1790 AD). I am not, however, certain at the moment and will have to investigate it further.

asm

Quote from: Overlord on October 24, 2009, 04:55:00 AM
The year on the coin (in Arabic numerals) seems to be AH (11)88,
Overlord,
The date on ther bottom image in english also shows 188 which could be x188?
Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

andyg

Quote from: Overlord on October 24, 2009, 04:55:00 AM
To me the basic fabric seems to bear resemblance to the Dirhams struck by the 'Alawi Sharifs of Morocco. The year on the coin (in Arabic numerals) seems to be AH (11)88, which falls during the reign of Sidi Muhammad III (AH 1171-1204; 1757-1790 AD). I am not, however, certain at the moment and will have to investigate it further.

Thanks Overlord, I think you have it.
It does resemble the 1 Dirham of Morocco of 1188,
the only reference I have is Krause and they only picture the Tetuan issue, all I can say for certain is that I don't think it is this one. Any help determining the mint would be gratefully received.
Thanks again.

Afrasi

Rabat, Casablanca and Marrakech are for this year not possible, but Salé, Meknès and Essaouira are - together with Fès and Tétouan.
This piece is very hard to determine, because it got a second hit at 45°. So the year (1188) is 4 times on the coin, but I have difficulties to read the mint, but I think it's Meknès.

andyg

a question, is Meknès written Miknas in Krause?

Figleaf

Yes. Arabs do not write vowels. However, I heard them pronounce the name of the place as Mac-ness. Wikipedia says the name of the town comes from a tenth century Berber tribe, the Miknasa.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Afrasi

Yes. I looked into the catalogue of Benziane and took the French names of the towns ...  :-[

In between I checked the catalogue of Eustache, too, and I am pretty sure now, that I am right.

andyg

Quote from: Afrasi on November 23, 2009, 10:24:08 PM
Yes. I looked into the catalogue of Benziane and took the French names of the towns ...  :-[

In between I checked the catalogue of Eustache, too, and I am pretty sure now, that I am right.

thanks again, Krause lists 1188 of this mint as rare? a mistake in Krause possibly.....

Afrasi

In my old KM (ANA Centennial Edition) these coins are missing. Benziane makes no difference between the years and mints and lists these coins as common ...