Civic Copper with Sun

Started by maudry, April 21, 2020, 08:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maudry

I believe this is rather Afghanistan than Iran but I completely failed to identify a mint. Herat has some coins with the sunface but those I found are different, more sun, less rays.
It has been struck over a coin with a sword.
Size: 21mm
Weight: 3.21gr

Figleaf

There is an Indian state coin series with this sun. Can't find it but I am sure it's on WoC.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

saro

Quote from: Figleaf on April 28, 2020, 08:56:10 AM
There is an Indian state coin series with this sun. Can't find it but I am sure it's on WoC.
May be you thought to this one ?
But I think that Maudry's coin isn't indian but well afghan.
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Figleaf

That looks like it, but I am thinking of another series, where the sunface is the central part of the design.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Figleaf

Yes! That's what I was thinking of. Thank you.

I remember Russian coins being overstruck in Iran or Afghanistan. I get the impression the city mints didn't care much what the coin looked like before overstriking it, though they probably cared about its weight. I think Indian coins would have been overstruck with the same speed as those of neighbouring cities.

Peter