News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Boys Scout Medal

Started by Abhay, March 19, 2020, 05:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abhay

Can anyone suggest any details about this medal?

Thanks in advance.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

malj1

This Fleur de Lei design is the Boy Scouts emblem. It is a UK Medal of Merit award.

I see the makers name is on the reverse but the photo is too poor for me to be able read it.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Abhay

Thanks Malcolm!!!!

I think the Makers name reads as "COLLINS LONDON".

I will take another close-up view of the makers name, and post the image in evening.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Abhay

Yes. The maker is COLLINS LONDON.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

malj1

Thank you, this does confirm its the UK issue.

'D.C. Collins, Newgate St. London'

Daniel George Collins was a silversmith, goldsmith and medallist. He was based in 118 Newgate Street, London, EC. The Company was established in 1891 and was incorporated as a limited company in 1905. His silverware was also assayed in Sheffield and Birmingham. His mark consisted of his initials DGC in circles.
Source
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Manzikert

This is apparently the Boy Scouts 'Award of Merit', 4th type. The ones I have found online are dated 1943-1949 and are all made by Collins.

According to this very useful site https://heritage.scouts.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Awards-Decorations-and-their-Emblems-of-The-Scout-Association-formerly-the-Boy-Scout-Association.pdf this type was awarded between 1935 and 1966.

The Scouts website currently says 'The Award for Merit is given for outstanding service. It implies keen, conscientious, imaginative and dedicated service over a sustained period, of at least 12 years duration (exceptionally 10).'

Alan