Gibraltar: Labours of Hercules 2 pounds series

Started by eurocoin, November 15, 2019, 11:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

It is indeed correct that someone is bidding on all of the Labours of Hercules advertisements, only to then not pay. On social media, the first death threats for this unknown person have already appeared.

Quote from: andyg on December 23, 2019, 10:36:43 PM
There is something altogether odd about these £2's are they limited to 2 coins per house again - or has some big dealer got most of them in a bank vault somewhere?

The limit for the Labours of Hercules coins is 3 per household. Pobjoy Mint only sells these coins directly to collectors. Dealers are not able to buy wholesale. If they want to sell these coins they will have to be quick just like collectors and can get a maximum of 3 pieces. There are no exceptions.

eurocoin

Yesterday Pobjoy Mint announced that the third coin in the series was going to be released this week. This morning Pobjoy Mint has issued a statement saying the issuance of the coin will be delayed until further notice.

It appears that maintenance and upgrades of their website that yestersay took place and were necessary to be able to continue the Hercules Series were unsuccessful.

The third coin in the series will feature the Ceryneian Hind.

eurocoin

The third Hercules 2 pound coin will be released this week. Pobjoy Mint will start to charge a fee of 3 pounds per order for the Hercules 2 pound coins.

eurocoin

The first 875 coins of the third coin in the series were released today. They were sold out within a few minutes. The other 875 coins will be released later.

MCz

I checked Pobjoy website and at 3.00 pm (London time) it was still no coinsin sales, the same at 3.08 PM but later website went down... maybe if I refresh it every 30 seconds and not 5-8 minutes but I need to normally live :) when I succeed to re-connect it, it was aleady sold out. In the meantime I received email from Pobjoy that coin is released...

I understand that Pobjoy can produce and sell only the number of coins allowed by Gibraltar Authority, but do you know if it is any legal regulation about the maximum number of coins that can be issued (like in case of 2 euros commemorative limit no more than 5% of 2-euro coins in issueing country and no more than 0,1% of all 2euro coins in eurozone)? Or this is only the decision of Gibraltar Authority to issue 1750 pieces, no more?

eurocoin

As far as I know Pobjoy Mint itself decides what the mintage of each coin is.

MCz

After the first issue in the series, I asked mint if the the next coins will have the same small mintage (looking at the high demand and that all coins were sold out so quickly) and the answer was "the mintage for the following coins in the series will also be 1750. This is determined by the issuing Government".

eurocoin

Quote from: MCz on January 17, 2020, 07:41:18 PM
After the first issue in the series, I asked mint if the the next coins will have the same small mintage (looking at the high demand and that all coins were sold out so quickly) and the answer was "the mintage for the following coins in the series will also be 1750. This is determined by the issuing Government".

I am aware of that statement of the mint but as far as I know it is not true. I have in the past worked with the Government of Gibraltar on the issuance of a legal tender commemorative 50 pence coin and it was myself, not the government, who had to decide the mintage.

eurocoin

The second and last part of the mintage of the third coin was available but sold out in under 5 minutes.

MrNuman

I've just received an newsletter from the Pobjoy saying that the household limit for this series has been adjusted from 3 to 2 per household.
Feel free to ask me anything about Holland :)

In search of old Dutch coins.

MrNuman

The 4th coin in this series just got released: The Labours of Hercules: The Erymanthian Boar, unfortunately my old eyes say the email too late.
Feel free to ask me anything about Holland :)

In search of old Dutch coins.

eurocoin

Tip for everyone looking to still get the next coins in the series (or to make a quick buck):

If you have missed out on the coin, immediately after it has sold out contact Pobjoy Mint and ask them to put your name on the list. Only very few people know that they maintain a list. So far all of the people who were put on the list eventually were offered the possibility to buy a maximum of 2 pieces of the specific coin.

eurocoin

Pobjoy Mint has today released the 6th and 7th coins in the series, depicting the Stymphalion Birds and the Cretan Bull, at once. This was done because of the uncertainty due to the corona virus. The coins sold out in no-time.

Col1n666

Quote from: eurocoin on February 14, 2020, 11:32:33 PM
Tip for everyone looking to still get the next coins in the series (or to make a quick buck):

If you have missed out on the coin, immediately after it has sold out contact Pobjoy Mint and ask them to put your name on the list.

I managed to successfully order the 5th coin in the set thanks to Eurocoin's tip. They sent me a PayPal payment request yesterday. They also added me to their list for the 6th and 7th coins! Hope I can complete the collection.
Thanks Eurocoin!

eurocoin

Quote from: Col1n666 on March 19, 2020, 10:47:20 PM
I managed to successfully order the 5th coin in the set thanks to Eurocoin's tip. They sent me a PayPal payment request yesterday. They also added me to their list for the 6th and 7th coins! Hope I can complete the collection.
Thanks Eurocoin!

I am glad to hear you were in the end able to get the coin. Hopefully you will have as much luck with the 6th and 7th coins.