Unique denominations found on one coin type only

Started by <k>, February 20, 2020, 04:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Turks and Caicos, 1981, ¼ crown.   Crayfish.

In 1981 the territory issued a two coin set for collectors. The obverse featured the Machin portrait of the Queen.

The denominations were a quarter crown and a half crown. I believe the quarter crown is a unique denomination among world coins.

The reverse of the quarter crown featured a Caribbean spiny lobster (Panuliras argus). The coin was around 24 mm in diameter and equal in value to a US quarter.

More than one person has told me that this coin circulated on the islands.

See: Turk and Caicos Islands: collector coins.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

An 8 shillings coin was produced for the Gambia as a collector coin only in 1970. It was minted in copper-nickel and also in silver.

The obverse design showed the Queen's portrait, as seen on the circulation coins.

The reverse design featured a hippopotamus.

It is the only coin in the world with a denomination of 8 shillings. It has a diameter of 41 mm.

See: Predecimal coinage of the Gambia .

Figleaf

A 4-3/4 denomination is weird, until you realise it's simply a half silver larin in copper. Most specimen, including this one, are fake. Listed in the Ceylon chapter as KM 32.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

mrbadexample

Surely the Haitian 6¼ centimes is unique?  :-\

<k>

Haiti 6¼ centimes 1846.jpg

Haiti, 6¼ centimes, 1846.

Apparently there was an earlier version in 1846.

But was the denomination unique to Haiti?

FosseWay

Elizabeth I of England was quite good at these.

First, early in her reign old debased silver from Edward VI's reign was countermarked and reissued at its actual intrinsic value, so you got two very odd one-off denominations: fourpence-halfpenny (for Edward's shillings) and twopence-farthing (for his sixpences).

Later in Elizabeth's reign the unusual denomination of three-farthings was issued, which I am unaware of from any other time or place. However, the issue spreads over two issues (third and fourth) with some smaller design differences between them, and with two different Spink numbers, so this may not strictly qualify for "found on one coin type only".

Perhaps a stronger example is Victoria's quarter-farthing issued in one type only from 1839 to 1853 for use in Ceylon.

jezuss

another 4 3/4 st coin

Figleaf

A tourist fake, I am afraid. Sand cast, hand drawn.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

UK ¼ farthing 1839.jpg

A UK quarter farthing dated 1839.

It was only used in Ceylon (Sri Lanka, in modern times).

What could you buy for such a tiny amount?

Image courtesy of The Royal Mint Museum, UK.

andyg

always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

<k>

The dear old Pobjoy Mint. Why am I not surprised. So I suppose they must have done other fractions - a tenth, perhaps?

andyg

always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

<k>

Well, there you are. I know these things without even looking. I'm so far ahead of the times that I sometimes wonder why I bothered being born.

jezuss

<k>

Panama 1¼  centesimos 1940.jpg

Panama, 1 and a quarter centésimos, 1940.  N# 12035.

This denomination was issued in 1940 only.