Portuguese India - Quarter bazaruco - Cochim mint

Started by Biju.P.B, January 10, 2020, 06:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biju.P.B

Probably the smallest of all Portuguese India coins ..  weighing just 1.2gm ..  uncatalogued ?   Opinions please .. 

Figleaf

The three arrows are indeed typical of the Cochim mint during the reign of Sebastian I, though the surrounding dots are too large. However, the design on the other side does not even resemble the Portuguese arms; it looks more like an armillary sphere. The weight is off: at 1.2 grams, this should be a half bazaruco, but coins with the three arrows are listed only in the denominations 1, 2 and 4 bazarucos.

Not in Gomes.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

jsalgado

Peter
In my opinion this coin was ordered to coin for John III 1511-1557 and it is a 1/4 Bazaruco  Gomes 02. 01 to 03  (in accordance with Gomes, the weight of 1/2 Bazaruco is between 3,2 and 4,4 g). The armillary sphere is oval in the reign of John III and in the reign of D. Sebastian it is not. In Portuguese Indian Money by Ferraro Vaz there is told a similar coin J3.31, page 85, told by Fenelon Rebello in A brief sketch on disappears When Portuguese issues Is going Goa 1973.
jsalgado

Biju.P.B

the weight is not 1.2 gm ...  its 0.61 gms ...   checked it myself ...   sorry for the mistake .. . 

Figleaf

Here is the listing in Gomes. I find it difficult to see an anchor cross on the coin shown above and I am having trouble with the size of the dots.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

jsalgado

Of the emissions of D. Sebastian from Cochim mint known only of the denominations 1, 2 and 4 Bazarucos with weights between 5,3 and 20,4 g and shield of arms crowned in the obverse that allows me to end what one does not treat as an emission of this king. The emission that seemed to me nearer for the type is what will have been given out in the previous reign, of the king D. John III. The attribution of these coins is not easy and also very often the state of conservation in which they appear (seldom) does not help.My message is only  suggests an opinion being waiting for others.
jsalgado