Zand / Karim Khan, abbasi of Tabriz mint - presentation and standard issue

Started by maudry, May 13, 2018, 10:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maudry

This one looks really great but unfortunately it has been cleaned.
Size: 27mm
Weight: 3.78gr

saro

Confirmed : Zands / Karim Khan, Tabriz
legend is, from top : " شد افتاب و ماه / زروسیم در جهان از سکه / بحق صاحب الز مان "
meaning; "the Sun & the Moon became gold and silver from the rightful (Imam), the owner of the time".
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

maudry

This one is very similar but more with a standard size and weight.
Unfortunately the two last digits of the year have been erased by the hole.
The other one is really huge compared to the other abbasis I have from Karim Khan, no matter the mint or year.
Size: 24mm
Weight: 4.32gr

saro

seems to be this type.
isn'it a date here ?

aws22

Dear Saro, yes the two digits " 11 ١١ " are there above letter " R ر " of the word " Zarb ضرب ", but the other two digits are covered by the hole under the word " Zarb ضرب " which are not visible.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

maudry

Thank you for your comment.
I agree that the two last digits of the year are erased by the hole.
I have made a picture with both coins side by side to show the difference of size.
I wonder if the first one could not be a special issue?

aws22

Dear maudry, the standard weight & diameter for such Abbasi is 4.6 gm & 22 mm respectively. A diameter of 27 mm with such different margin decoration could be a special issue.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

maudry

I have found a "Presentation issue" on vcoins.

It says:
Well centered on unnusually broad flan.
Previously mounted (as intended).
This is much broader and handsomely made than the usual abbasis of this type

So my coin could also be such a presentation issue.

Figleaf

It looks like you have come up with something really special, Maudry! Congratulations and TFP!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

saro

Karim Khan performed many devaluations during his reign; R.Matthee says : "the government collected the old silver and copper money and struck new currency of less weight and / or alloy.Hard up, in 1181 AH, Karim Khan devaluated his currency : he increased the value of existing coins against the toman; the standard of 1200 nokhud was reduced to 960, giving to the old rupi a value of 12,5 shahis."

I notice that the weight of your abbasi well fit with the 960 nokhud new standard adopted in 1181. 
with the 1200 nokhud std (for the maginary toman), the abbasi weighs 4,61g and only 3,69g in the 960 nokhud std.
This coin could belong to this new std (with same silver purity), shortly replaced by further issues struck at a classical std weight of 4,6g but with a different value against the toman or with a lower silver content ?

These low weight abbasi seem not to be previously reported ( I am not sure it's a presentation issue)  ???  :applause:

Making larger, lower-weight pieces is a way to hide the devaluation from the public eye, and is nearly as old as the coins  : ::)

maudry

Thank you for your comments.
I noticed the reduced eight of the big coin but wasn't aware of the devaluation from AH1181.
The coin has some evidence of mounting so it could possibly be a presentation coin with the new standard?
In any case I am happy to have now both coins side by side in my collection.