Gibraltar: Labours of Hercules 2 pounds series

Started by eurocoin, November 15, 2019, 11:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

Over 20 years after the first series was issued, Gibraltar will be issuing a new Labours of Hercules 2 pounds series either later this year or next year. The series will consist of 12 coins. The original series is highly sought after and worth thousands of pounds.

eurocoin

The first coin in the series has just been released. The entire mintage of 1,750 pieces sold out in no-time.

MCz

I received email but when checked the PM website it was already sold out... I understand that Breast Cancer coin was issued only to the local peoples but why Hercules series produced by private mint has so low mintage... very strange for me. I guess they can sell without problem minimum 10.000 coins in the same issue price...
Even if there is sufficiant number of 2 pound coins in circulation in Gibraltar, I guess it will be also no problem to issue more coins because most of these coins will never end in circularion but in collections across the world.

Col1n666

I was lucky enough to be able to get one. Website was very slow though. I looked on eBay for the breast cancer coin but it is selling for £200+!!!

eurocoin

First coin in the series can be seen below. The exact same reverse designs are being used on the coins as on the ones issued 20 years ago.

eurocoin

The second Hercules coin in the series will be released next week.

bjcoins

Hello eurocoin, are you aware of the issuing schedule of the remaining 10 coins of this series? I emailed Pobjoy with this question and they said they could not tell me / did not know ...

eurocoin

Quote from: bjcoins on December 11, 2019, 09:48:43 PM
Hello eurocoin, are you aware of the issuing schedule of the remaining 10 coins of this series? I emailed Pobjoy with this question and they said they could not tell me / did not know ...

Hello bjcoins, Welcome on World of Coins Forum. Many people have asked me this. Although I often provide the latest news about future releases of Pobjoy Mint here first, unfortunately I do not have the issuing shedule of these coins. I do not know if such shedule exists. I think it is well possible that Pobjoy Mint does not have a planning of when each coin will be issued.

I assume you live in the UK but if you live in the US you can sign up for a continuity scheme of the Hercules coins with the local branch of Pobjoy Mint. This service is only open to residents of the US. Unfortunately British Pobjoy Mint does not offer a similar service for people who live in the UK.

Were you so far able to secure any of these coins?

bjcoins

Hi eurocoin, thanks for your swift reply. I live in The Netherlands, actually. I did not find out about the new Hercules series until after the Nemean Lion issue was sold out. Was in time to get my hands on the 2nd issue, the Hydra, though. I am also the happy owner of the 1997-2000 Hercules series!

eurocoin

Quote from: bjcoins on December 11, 2019, 10:57:27 PM
Hi eurocoin, thanks for your swift reply. I live in The Netherlands, actually. I did not find out about the new Hercules series until after the Nemean Lion issue was sold out. Was in time to get my hands on the 2nd issue, the Hydra, though. I am also the happy owner of the 1997-2000 Hercules series!

The Netherlands, interesting! I didn't think anyone else would be interested in these coins around here. The original series is very expensive these days. I think the obverse portrait on it also looks better than on the new ones.

Usually the news on future coins of the UK, its crown dependencies and territories can be found on here (long) before even the mints have announced it, so hopefully you will now not miss out anymore.

Col1n666

I have noticed a lot of these coins selling on eBay for around £80-100. But over the last few days, they have been selling for up to £1000! But the buyer almost always has zero feedback. I wonder if people are setting up accounts just to try and push the value of these coins up?!!

andyg

There is something altogether odd about these £2's are they limited to 2 coins per house again - or has some big dealer got most of them in a bank vault somewhere?
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Alan71

Isn't it that they are really buying something else entirely?  A bog-standard, well circulated 1971 UK 2p coin is listed in there for £120, with 18 watchers. 10 available.  There must be some secret eBay code we're not aware of (and I wouldn't want to be aware of), so that these people know they aren't really buying a coin...