Triskele!

Started by Prosit, November 09, 2009, 12:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prosit

I would very much enjoy seeing some of those Isle of Man 3 leggy designs...or is it four...
Dale

Quote from: UK Decimal + on November 08, 2009, 03:19:18 PM
...We have the Eagle, Marianne and Britannia and so many, many others such as that used by the Isle of Man. Bill.

andyg

Quote from: dalehall on November 09, 2009, 12:57:36 AM
I would very much enjoy seeing some of those Isle of Man 3 leggy designs...or is it four...
Dale

You command is my wish (or something like that anyway)
Without looking it up does anyone know what the letters stand for under the map? (Ice Torch will you tell me if they cheated? you'll have it on your CCTV 8) )

Figleaf

The triskelion is BP (before Pobjoy).

The legend means "I stand, in whatever direction you throw me". The French motto means "without change". The triskelion was used from the first modern Manx coins in 1688, except on some circulating bank tokens and AP issues. The coin was issued in the name of James Stanley, earl of Derby. The ducal hat with eagle is taken from the Stanley family arms.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

UK Decimal +

This entry from the Concise Oxford English Dictionary might be of interest:-

triskelion 
   noun a Celtic symbol consisting of three legs or lines radiating from a centre.

ORIGIN
   C19: from tri- + Greek skelos 'leg'.

Bill.
Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

translateltd

Quote from: ***** on November 09, 2009, 01:11:01 AM
You command is my wish (or something like that anyway)
Without looking it up does anyone know what the letters stand for under the map? (Ice Torch will you tell me if they cheated? you'll have it on your CCTV 8) )

DMIHE = Darn, More In Heinous Excess.

Prosit

I have always been intriged by that design....celtic origin or whatever it is.
Nice coins!  Thanks!

Dale

chrisild

Quote from: dalehall on November 09, 2009, 03:53:42 AM
I have always been intriged by that design....celtic origin or whatever it is.

Yes, Celtic I think. The triskele is a more abstract style can be found in many parts of Europe; the variety with the three legs is not quite that common. It is the official emblem of the Isle of Man and of Sicily.

Christian

Prosit

Would one of those "more abstract styles" happen to be a swastika?
Dale

Quote from: chrisild on November 09, 2009, 01:33:13 PM
Yes, Celtic I think. The triskele is a more abstract style can be found in many parts of Europe; the variety with the three legs is not quite that common. It is the official emblem of the Isle of Man and of Sicily.

Christian

Prosit

chrisild

When I mentioned "abstract" triskele shapes, I had primarily the rounded variety http://www.lionetti.de/images/begriffe/triskel_triskele.gif in mind. But the British organization "Blood and Honour", for example, uses a variation that does resemble a swastika. Here is the Sicilian triskele flag:

Christian

chrisild

Replaced the B&H link with one to an image of the "round variety". My focus was on the Sicilian triskele anyway, as that resembles the Manx type. And then we have, for example, the CoA of the Bavarian city of Füssen http://www.stadt-fuessen.de/3898.html (scroll down a litte to see the current design) ...

Christian

Figleaf

Füssen = feet, as in the stinky part of the leg, not a length of 30.48 centimeters

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

africancoins

To reply to the question in reply number one to this topic....

Daily Mirror Ideal Home Exhibiton

...I believe is the right answer.

But what they did with the coins there I do not know.........

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

andyg

Quote from: africancoins on November 09, 2009, 07:20:12 PM
To reply to the question in reply number one to this topic....

Daily Mirror Ideal Home Exhibiton

...I believe is the right answer.

But what they did with the coins there I do not know.........

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

So close I'll give it to you, "Daily Mail Ideal Home Exibition", there are also some with DMIHEN, which is same but with "North" on the end - they were sold to visitors at said exibition I think.

andyg

Here are two more slightly different versions,
Coin 1 from 1839 (¼d) and coin 2 from 1813 (1d)

I'd have a 1709 example were it not for one particular ebay buyer who always outbids me >:(
Now you'd think he'd realise if he let me win just one, then all his future 1709 winnings would be a lot cheaper, but he seems to be learning the hard way  ;D

I'm not aware of any IOM coins before 1709?