small Afghan bronze, falus of Kabul

Started by jkk, December 08, 2019, 06:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkk

I can't find this design in any of my references, and can't read much of the text on the side that has some. 7.4g, 19.6mm, looks to me like bronze.

Jonathan

saro

Falus of Kabul.
"Kabul / کابل  " is fully present on your coin.
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

jkk

Thanks, Saro. No doubt the problem is my inability to track the direction of the text. Do you know roughly what time frame it's from?
Jonathan

saro

Many types exist for Kabul mint, they have been struck mainly under Barakzaï.
I wonder if there are not  digits of a date at top on your coin ? (11 & 1 o'clock / lower photo)

jkk

If so, I can't make them out. I didn't find this one in MWI or Krause, but I'll go start wading through zeno. Having Barazkai as a likely starting point helps greatly.
Jonathan

jkk

Well, nothing on Zeno, Krause, or Mitchiner. Is it possible this is a variant civic copper? It looks a bit like Valentine #20. I've found a number of the central device that looks (to me) like a fir tree, but none of the framing matches mine. Swords are a common framing, but mine look more like long antlers in a pair.
Jonathan

saro

your coin is very close to this one previously posted on WoC, undated unfortunately...
So much types and varieties exist, they haven't been all catalogued and a new one is not at all uncommon.

jkk

Thank you, Saro. I guess that's kind of cool in itself, to find something yet uncatalogued.
Jonathan

saro

Quote from: jkk on December 09, 2019, 04:26:31 PM
I guess that's kind of cool in itself, to find something yet uncatalogued.
Absolutely! and this area is conducive to such discoveries :)

jkk

I don't have an account on Zeno, but if anyone does and wants to submit this coin and its details to become part of the catalogue, that would be great with me. I guess it'll also go into our library of Afghan civic copper.
Jonathan

saro

Quote from: jkk on December 09, 2019, 08:02:06 PM
I guess it'll also go into our library of Afghan civic copper.
done  :)