Started by Desibot, October 08, 2019, 07:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desibot

Hi trying to find a date for this coin
Please help
It is a coin of isreal

Thankyou

Henk

It is a 25 Prutot coin from Israel. It is Nickel plated steel and the year is 5714 in the Hebrew calander which is 1953-4 CE

Desibot

Thankyou henk i was searching but kept thinking it as a  shekel ::)

jkk

Back then, the currency was the Israeli Lira and its cent was the prutah. Nice-looking example. I'm not sure what led them to say 'prutah' on the coin rather than 'prutot,' which is the correct plural, but I'll go out on a limb and guess that the Israelis understand Hebrew conventions better than I do.
Jonathan

FosseWay

Quote from: jkk on October 09, 2019, 05:16:27 AM
Back then, the currency was the Israeli Lira and its cent was the prutah.

Just to be pedantic  ;D, there were 1000 prutot in the lira - the prutah was the successor to the mil of Mandatory Palestine.

jkk

That's not pedantry. That's education. I had always thought it was the hundredth, not the thousandth. Thank you.
Jonathan

gpimper

I will say that is a nice coin.  Definitely Israeli.  I found one in my collection that is probably well timed with Honokaa just around the corner.  Probably picked it up in Tel' Aviv.  I'm not Jewish my self but the wife's family was so I respect the traditions.  (Oh, and another of my little helpers who are not helpful in the least :-)

An aside question, if any one could help with a date on that coin I would be in augh and very thankful. If anybody can identify my crazy lizard, that would be helpful as well ;-)
The Chief...aka Greg

Kushi

The date is underneath the 10 on the reverse.
התשמ״ו = heh tav shin mem vav =  5746 = 16 September 1985 till 3 October 1986.

radars_teddy

that particular year seems to show up more than others

Figleaf

Well, since it's the reeded edge (Tel Aviv mint) variety, it's the only date to choose from. AFAIK, the 5709 milled edge is "reported, not confirmed".

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.