News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

M&B Brew XI

Started by malj1, August 13, 2019, 09:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

M&B Brew XI one 1 token Beer money gold plastic 28.4mm

From Wikipedia:
Mitchells & Butlers Brewery was formed when Henry Mitchell's old Crown Brewery (founded in Smethwick in 1866) merged with William Butler's Brewery (also founded in Smethwick in 1866) in 1898. Henry Mitchell had moved to the Cape Hill site in 1879 and this became the company's main brewing site. It had its own railway network, connected to the national railway system from 1907–1962, via the Harborne line.

Various acquisitions included Holder's Brewers, who owned Birmingham's Midland Brewery, in 1919. The company merged with Bass in 1961. With the brand under ownership of Coors Brewers, the brewery closed in 2002 with production switched to Burton upon Trent. The brewery was undergoing demolition in 2005.[3] The site is now a housing estate, although the Mitchell & Butler war memorial, built in 1920, has been retained and restored.

Their most famous beer was Brew XI (using Roman numerals, and so pronounced Brew Eleven), advertised with the slogan "for the men of the Midlands". It is now brewed under licence for Coors by Brains of Cardiff.

A descendant company, which manages pubs, bars and restaurants throughout the United Kingdom, is still known as Mitchells & Butlers plc, and is based in Birmingham.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

Which leaves the question of what the token was used for. Good for a free beer? Not in M&B's pub time, but in its brewery time, I suppose, since it refers to a beer they made.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

FosseWay

I remember M&B beer - several pubs round where I grew up had it (or were tied pubs to the brewery). As far as I was concerned it was definitely second in preference after the other local beer, Banks's. Timewise we're talking 80s and early 90s (after which I moved away from the area), and areawise, a triangle in the English Midlands bounded by Wolverhampton, Kidderminster and Dudley.

The Banks's brewery (and associated pub) was just round the corner from my high school. Very convenient  ;D

bagerap

I've just had a Mitchell & Butler token arrive this week. At least that's how the vendor (with nearly 33,000 feedbacks) described it.

malj1

It seems very unlikely that there could be any connection with the brewing company as Mitchell & C0., are shown on the token to be Cutlers. ???

Here is the entry from Bell's Unofficial Farthings that doesn't tell us much.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.