News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Clifton Suspension Bridge

Started by malj1, June 01, 2014, 12:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

A toll token is shown for use on the Clifton Suspension Bridge. rev, CSBT brass 21.9mm

In 1860 the Clifton Bridge Company was set up to oversee the final stages of completion and manage the operation of the bridge. The revenues from tolls were minimal initially as there was not much traffic; however, this increased after 1920 with greater car ownership. The bridge is managed by a charitable trust authorised to manage the bridge and collect tolls by Acts of Parliament in 1952, 1980 and 1986. A toll of £0.50 has been levied on vehicles since 2007, but the £0.05 toll that the Act allows for cyclists or pedestrians is not collected. Human toll collectors were replaced by automated machines in 1975. The tolls are used to pay for the upkeep of the bridge, including the strengthening of the chain anchor points, which was done in 1925 and 1939, and regular painting and maintenance, which is carried out from a motorised cradle slung beneath the deck. As of 2008 over 4 million vehicles cross the bridge each year. In February 2012, the bridge trustees applied to the Department for Transport to increase the toll to £1, but as of March 2013 that rise has not occurred. abridged from Wikipedia

See also Re: SS Texaco Great Britiain I quote...

Brunel is perhaps best remembered for designing the Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol. Spanning over 700 ft (210 m), and nominally 200 ft (61 m) above the River Avon, it had the longest span of any bridge in the world at the time of construction. Work on the Clifton bridge started in 1831, but was suspended. Brunel did not live to see the bridge finished. Work recommenced in 1862 and was completed in 1864, five years after Brunel's death.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Kushi

THCoins

Impressive bridge ! I went to Edinburgh not so long ago. Took some hours to see the Firth of Forth bridge. This also is pre 1900, and very cleverly ingeneered, especially for that time (but not by I.K Brunel). Nice to see this historical heritage still in use.

malj1

Spotted some unused tokens today, 20 Toll Tokens in original paper wrapper marked:

These tokens are issued subject to The Clifton Suspension Bridge Act 1952 and the Trustees By-Laws.
Malcolm

Figleaf

Got a copy. At 4.7 grams, 22 mm it would be suitable for a token-operated toll gate, so I'd make it post 1975. However, the roll pictured above seems to dated 1962?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

Yes by rights it is a machine token, I was hoping you would not notice! Listed as Hayes 93A. You are spot on with the date too.  ;D It was used to activate the mechanical toll barriers between 1975 and 1982.

The bridge joins Bristol and North Somerset and is owned and operated by Clifton Suspension Bridge Trust. It is entirely funded by tolls - which have paid for its upkeep since it first opened to the public on 8th December 1864.
Malcolm

malj1

Drivers crossing Clifton Suspension Bridge are now able to pay the £1 toll using contactless enabled phones and cards.
Malcolm