News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Safavids, Husayn I, 4 shahi, Erivan - AH1130

Started by maudry, August 01, 2019, 07:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maudry

Not sure about the mint.
Size: 24mm
Weight: 5.38gr

aws22

Dear maudry, the mint is " Erivan ایروان " (Yerevan-Armenia) is at the bottom of first photo.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Figleaf

The date looks like 11130, or does that include an alif somewhere?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

aws22

Thank you Peter, the date is at 9 O'clock of first photo " 1130 ١١٣٠ " or " 1113 ١١١٣ ", depending on whether the dot at the end is digit zero or part of letter " N ن ". Both dates are within Shah Sultan Hasayn reign period (1105-1135 AH)(1694-1722 AD). I am in favor of the date " 1130 ١١٣٠ ", because of the weight of the coin being 5.38 gm which is near the standard weight of 4-Shahi after 1129 AH being 5.3 gm.

Maythem

maudry

Thank you for your comments.
I am also in favor of 1130 due to th weight, but also the style and size which match better the late reign of Husayn I.

aws22

Figleaf

I can now answer my own question. What seemed to be a third 1 is actually a continuation of the stalk diagonally above it, so you are both right. :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

aws22

Thank you Peter, the third 1 is actually a continuation of a "discontinuous decoration circle" at the center of the coin. Please see attachment, the "discontinuous decoration circle" is marked in yellow.

Maythem