News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

More Mystery Coin Designs - Guess The Country!

Started by Galapagos, October 30, 2009, 02:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galapagos

Here are three mystery coin designs. Once somebody guesses the country, I will have around fifteen images to show.

This is another tough one. Twice before, Christian has been the first to guess correctly. Will he continue his winning streak?   8)

chrisild

Thanks for this new quiz, but unfortunately Christian does not have that much time right now. ;) What is that odd thing on the "10" piece? Looks like a cross between a traffic light and an extraterrestrian, hehe.

Well, we do know that the language used is English (now that part was easy) and the name of the currency - the sub-unit, I suppose - is fairly long. Thus not cents or pence but, hmm, roughly eight characters. Will be back later ...

Christian

andyg

Ghana?*

*I must have a thing about the place as I guessed this last time.
The 5 and 10 Pesewas 1965 look to be very similar sizes / shapes....

translateltd

I actually guessed right for a change, just woke up too late!  Why would Ghana want to commemorate a dalek, though?

Galapagos

Here are the options for the obverses of the coin.

Galapagos

Two more.

Galapagos

Another three.

Galapagos

More.

Galapagos

Descriptions:

1] One pesewa - a] crossed swords sheathed;  b] crossed swords unsheathed

2] Five pesewas - a] Hen-like bird from linguist's staff;  b] Toakyiraafa - a swan-like goldweight

3] Ten pesewas - goldweights: a] Herald's double gong;  b] Porcupine;  c] Crocodile

4] 25 pesewas - Treasure chests: a] Kuduo;  b] Apemadaka

5] 50 pesewas - a] Cocoa pods;  b] Cocoa pods and leaves

The late but prolific Michael Rizzello was also responsible for these designs, and for the (much less interesting) actual decimal coins that were eventually issued.

So what do the members make of these designs? I think they're far preferable to the actual designs, which were rather boring. I can't understand why they didn't go for these ones.  As for the descriptions, that's all I have. I don't understand the more unusual references!

Figleaf

Kuduo = container
Apemadaka = box

Both were used for storing gold dust, a typical Ghanian means of payment. I don't know what Toakyiraafa is (delete the first "a" and search in Wikipedia to find a fine controverse on the discussion page.) Since I have seen a collection of Ashanti gold weights, I have been very interested in them. Unfortunately, the real ones are above my budget.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.