News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Dutch coffee machine tokens - please help complete the picture collection

Started by malj1, March 07, 2012, 12:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jezuss

filtrum tilburg without the heart.
20mm 3.5gram
22mm 4.4gram

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Figleaf

Next month, it will be a year ago since I opened this thread. Having just added a whopping 150 pictures to the already sizeable collection, I think we can now claim that the best online catalogue of Dutch coffee machine tokens is on WoT. Sure, we still have around 100 pages to go and even some of the existing pages are still a bit bare, but a rough estimate yielded that we already have around 75% of the pictures and 80% of the pages now. Moreover, many pages give much detail about the issuer, its founders, its business, and in quite a few instances a picture of where the token was used.

I have had a lot of help from our members, from John Kooij's catalogue of Dutch metallic tokens and the indefatigable malj1 to advanced Dutch token collectors, who came up with pictures and unpublished variants, types and even issuers. They are making this catalogue a product of teamwork.

In celebration of this coming of age, I have removed the general "under construction" warning and replaced it by two symbols in the lists of Producers, distributors and importers, Government organisations and enterprises and Other institutions. The list of Other enterprises will follow soon. One - men at work - marks pages where there is no introduction yet. The other - watch the birdie - indicates pages completely devoid of pictures of tokens. My ambition is to remove them one by one, i.e. to have a page with information on each issuer, a place for all tokens and at least one picture on the main page of each issuer. I'll need more help, especially with pictures, to do that.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

jezuss

jezuss

the lists in de first posts are not up to date.
that would make it easier to find the wanted pictures...

Figleaf

Token posted, thank you! REWO was the last page without a single picture on the list of Producers, distributors and importers. It was a pleasure to update the list.

You are right about the lists in this thread, but looking at what I already know awaits me, it is unlikely that I can update them this year. I would welcome a volunteer to do it. It's not difficult, just time consuming.

Peter

Figleaf

jezuss

cafe bar with different mintmark.
22.5 mm

Figleaf

Most excellent, jezuss. Thank you! May more people have illustrations to contribute for this project. It's looking so good already! However, as collectors, you will understand my wish to "complete" it.

I finished making pages for all the (semi) governmental institutions. I am now down to less than 100 pages to make for enterprises (ex-vending machine sellers, producers and importers.) Things have slowed down lately as I have a need to complete the pages for Asian telephone tokens first.

Peter

jezuss

is this a coffee token ?

22.9 mm brass
6.0 gram

Figleaf

Compare Kooij NK041.1, a locker token. UB is undoubtedly Universiteits Bibliotheek (university library). Lockers for bags would have been needed to prevent book theft. Yours has a different diameter, but so has NK040.1.

Peter

malj1

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

I studied at UvA and used UB. The copy machines took regular coins at that time.

Peter

jezuss

this one should be for the copy machine.