News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Canada Apollo Moon Landing mission

Started by quaziright, June 25, 2019, 07:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quaziright

Seems us canadians didn't want to miss out on the hype of the 50th anniv of the moon landigs, so whatever the americans can do, we can do with equal crasse panache

Pure Silver Coin - 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon Landing - Mintage:;

Features the iconic scene when humanity first set foot on the Moon! Order your coin today.
50 years ago, humanity left Earth's exosphere and landed the first humans on the Moon. 50 years ago, humanity imprinted the first footstep on the surface of our natural satellite. History was made. Now, we look back on this day as a milestone in human history, literally reaching for the stars.
While the United States launched and landed the spacecraft, Canadians also have every reason to celebrate. In fact, many don't know that the landing gear for the Apollo 11 Lunar Module was designed by the Canadian company, Héroux-Devtek. Technically, Canadian technology was the first object of Apollo 11's mission to touch the Moon!
Canada's Prime Minister Pierre Elliott Trudeau, along with other world leaders, sent messages of goodwill for this historic mission. These messages appear on a silicone disc about the size of a US 50-cent coin that was left on the lunar surface. He wrote, "Man has reached out and touched the tranquil moon. Puisse ce haut fait permettre à l'homme de redécouvrir la Terre et d'y trouver la paix. (May that high accomplishment allow man to rediscover the Earth and find peace.)"

Your 99.99% pure silver coin celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing! Order today.

Special features:
HOLD THE MOON! Your coin has a convex shape, rounding the Moon to make it more tangible.
AN ESSENTIAL MILESTONE! The Apollo 11 Moon landing is a defining event in humanity's history and a landmark in Canadian engineering.
DOUBLE-DATED! Your coin is marked with the memorable dates "1969" and "2019" and "50 years/ans" that have passed since the event.
LANDING GEAR FROM QUÉBEC! Héroux-Devtek, the Canadian company that contributed to the successful landing of the Apollo 11, is located in Longueuil - a suburb of Montréal, Québec.
DESIGNED BY AN ONTARIAN! While the developing company is located in Québec, the primary designer behind the first moon landing gear was the Canadian engineer, Owen Maynard, born in Sarnia, Ontario.
OLD-SCHOOL TECHNOLOGY! 50 years may not seem that long ago in history. However, a cell phone today has more processing power than Apollo's computers; humanity and technology have taken quite the leap!
INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE: The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
99.99% PURE SILVER COIN: NO GST/HST.

Design:
Designed by Canadian artist Tony Bianco, your coin features the iconic scene when humanity first set foot on the Moon, with the landing module towering in the background. It is marked with the memorable dates "1969" and "2019" and "50 years/ans" that have passed since the event. The message of peace written by Pierre Elliott Trudeau on a tiny silicone disk that was left on the Moon also appears on the edge of the coin. The design features a rounded, convex shape reminiscent of the Moon.

chrisild

While I do not have any plans to buy that piece, it is a neat design. And since several countries have issued or will issue coins on that occasion, this may actually be an interesting theme collection ...

Christian

quaziright

The design is un-inspiring and just ok imo; the concave shape just a lazy mimicry of the US coin and the write up is so clingy that it's cringe worthy. Anyways, for those interested in an apollo mission series, the gold one may seem out of reach, but not to worry, the RCM has a payment plan available for them ;)

chrisild

Ah well, the shape is something that the US Mint simply copied from the Monnaie de Paris. :)  The MdP issued a series of collector coins referring to the moon landing and the Year of Astronomy ten years ago, see here. (Image link in that topic should now work again.) And they first came up with that "dome" shape that later was used for several coins from other countries.

As for the "background info", well, I think it is interesting that in some way "Canada" contributed to the Apollo missions. Similarly, this year's Swiss moon landing coin also emphasizes the Switzerland made sun sail. Guess it is a way of saying, hey collectors, contrary to some other issuers, our country actually had something to do with that moon landing theme. ;)

Christian

quaziright

The first concave design that the US mint made for the 1$ baseball coin was following a technical collaboration with the Royal Australian mint according to the US mints website. I don't know if they had anything to do with monnaie de Paris.

chrisild

Don't ask me. :) The French coin was issued in 2009, the Australian one came in 2012 ...

Christian

quaziright

Quote from: chrisild on June 26, 2019, 10:36:09 PM
Don't ask me. :) The French coin was issued in 2009, the Australian one came in 2012 ...

Christian

I probably won't lol; Those dates seem in irrelevant in that the RAM could have a separate patent from the monnaie de Paris just as they proved in that fracas with the RCM. I did look if the US mint alluded to any collaboration with Paris, but so far I only found RAM related  articles

chrisild

A-ha ...
National Baseball Hall of Fame Half-dollar | U.S. Mint

"The National Baseball Commemorative Coin Act specifically refers to modeling the coins after the convex/concave 2009 International Year of Astronomy Coins minted and issued by the Monnaie de Paris (French Mint). The United States Mint's National Baseball Hall of Fame Commemorative $5 gold, the $1 silver and one-half dollar clad coins will also be closely modeled after the Royal Australian Mint's Southern Cross curved coins."

Note the first sentence; you may ignore the second one. ;D

Christian

quaziright

Are you doing a Trump here and should I now label you with that dreaded tag #fakenews  :P

Not only are you telling me to ignore the modelling of the Australian coins, but you completely skirted

"...During the planning phase for the minting and production of its first-ever curved coins, the Royal Australian and Perth Mints provided valuable technical insight to the United States Mint."

For shame  >:D

chrisild

If I told you that on one of the Apollo missions they found some extraterrestrians sitting around a fire on the moon, yeah, that would be alternative facts. >:D  In this case I do admittedly not know the details about the production technology - all I know is that the French came up with such a curved coin, then the Australians, then the Americans. And the Canadian Mint has been creative with regard to several other minting innovations, so why not use something in this case that has been successful elsewhere?

Christian

quaziright

Figleaf

Don't know about concave coins, but I can tell you convex coins (or the other way around, I often mix them up) have been around at least since the Irish 1966 10 shilling piece commemorating Pádraig Mac Piarais and Cú Chulainn and also the Easter rising. In the Trumpian sense, all they had to do was to mount such a die pair upside down, no? ;D

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.