News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Modifications to the obverses and reverses of the 1, 2 and 5 euro cent coins

Started by FosseWay, August 27, 2018, 03:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

Quote from: FosseWay on August 29, 2018, 08:36:50 PM
What was unclear was the effect, if any, it would have on the designs themselves

Indeed. While the modification itself was neither "trumpeted" nor "kept secret", the effects on the look of the coins was a surprise for me too. Particularly so on the national sides.

Attached is a screenshot from a European Commission presentation at the ATMIA Conference (London, June 2017) that I posted elsewhere before. Note how the part "no impact on cash handling" is underlined. And the press release that redlock posted here even says: "Die Änderungen sind rein technischer Art und für die Öffentlichkeit nicht zu erkennen, denn das Aussehen der Münzen [bleibt] unverändert." That is, "the changes are of merely technical nature and not recognizable for the public, as the look of the coins remains unchanged."

That may be true for most of the general public. But not for a coin collector with the eyes of a hawk. ;)

Christian

Arminius

So far i found seven pieces of this variant from Hamburg and Karlsruhe mint.
Four in my small change plus three in a 100 from two bank rolls.

2016 G - 1 specimen
2017 G - 3
2017 J - 2
2018 J - 1

regards  :)

eurocoin

For collectors the changeover is a complete mess. One country makes changes to the obverse, some make changes to the reverse but most countries have as yet not made any changes at all. I have the following information on recent changes apparently made to reduce the loss on the production of the euro coins:

Amended reverse:

Italy 2017: 1 and 2 euro cent
Austria 2017: 2 euro cent (issued with both old and new reverse)
Austria 2018: 2 euro cent

Amended obverse:

Germany 2 euro cents:

2016: G
2017: A, G, J
2018: D, F, J

Let's see if we can find some further ones.

milkshakespeare

The most important thing is, do the old and new obverses or reverses coincide? Do they mix? Are there differend combinations?

Arminius

Quote from: milkshakespeare on September 01, 2018, 12:54:16 AM
The most important thing is, do the old and new obverses or reverses coincide? Do they mix? Are there different combinations?

Does a "Germany new reverse" exist, does is distinguish significantly from the old one?

???

Angus

If they coincide/mix I'm interested! (i.e. same year, both versions)

FosseWay

Quote from: Arminius on September 01, 2018, 07:37:12 AM
Does a "Germany new reverse" exist, does is distinguish significantly from the old one?

???

The coin that I started this thread with has a reverse that is AFAICS identical with that of earlier coins. But given the haphazard nature of the way this change has been handled, I can't rule out the possibility that my coin has a new obverse and old reverse, and that there are other coins out there with a reverse that is notably different.

Globetrotter

Hi,

that's very interesting. I've just asked Tom Michael from SCWC, if he plans to make any changes to KM numbers because of this. If he ever answers back I'll let you know.

Ole

Arminius

My detections so far,

Germany 2 euro cent,               
ammended obverse:

Year               
2016                  G   
2017   A   D   F   G   J
2018   A                  J

(pictures and data on my gallery)

regards

Pabitra

Arminius

Last week i found my own 2018 D from Munich :

The actual small change circulation finds list:

Year               
2016                  G   
2017   A   D   F   G   J
2018   A   D             J

Maybe i could do better buying 2 Euro cent rolls from the bank. But this would add costs and may eliminate to a certain extent the surprise factor of each cash transfer during my rare supermarket visits.

:)

eurocoin

Some new information, one of my own discoveries combined with many others of my good friend André Milhorat and one of Pabitra.

Introduction of amended reverse:

2017:

Italy: 1, 2 and 5 eurocent
Vatican City: 1, 2 and 5 eurocent
San Marino: 1, 2 and 5 eurocent
Austria: 2 euro cent (issued with both old and new reverse)

2018:

Austria: 1, 5 eurocent (issued with both old and new reverse)
Portugal: 1, 2 and 5 eurocent

2019:

Germany: 2 eurocent

Introduction of amended obverse on the German coins:

1 euro cent:

2019: A, D, F, G, J

2 euro cent:

2016: G
2017: A, D, F, J

FosseWay

Eurocoin, any chance you can post the old and new *reverses* alongside each other and/or point out what the differences are? As I posted further up, I couldn't see any difference between the reverse of the 2018 D 2 Cent that I started this thread with and any other 2 Cent from 2002 on. But I don't know whether I'm being unobservant/looking in the wrong place, or whether my coin does indeed have the "old" reverse and others have the new one.

eurocoin

The reverse (the side showing the denomination) on the German 2 euro cent coins was only modified as of 2019. Therefore it is perfectly normal that you have a 2 euro cent 2018 D that has the same reverse as all previous 2 euro cent coins of Germany.

FosseWay

Aha, OK, thanks  :)

In that case, Pabitra, can you show the reverse of one of your 2019 1 cent coins alongside an earlier one?