US to Put Woman on $20 Banknote

Started by Bimat, June 18, 2015, 10:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

First time in centuary: US to put image of a woman on USD 10 note

Washington: The United States Treasury announced that it will put the image of a woman on an American banknote for the first time in over a century.

The announcement said that a 'champion for our inclusive democracy' will replace Alexander Hamilton, the first secretary of the treasury, on the $10 note from 2020.

According to Treasury secretary Jacob Lew, the woman will be chosen by the Treasury after fielding the ideas of the public about what qualities best represent democracy.

The change will take place on the 100th anniversary of women's suffrage, when American women gained the right to vote.

Only twice before have women featured on US paper currency. Martha Washington, the wife of first President George Washington, was on $1 notes in the 1880s and 1890s. Pocahontas, a Native American woman linked to the colonial settlement at Jamestown, was featured in a group of people on banknotes in the 1860s.

Source
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Pabitra

Quote from: Bimat on June 18, 2015, 10:48:15 AM
First time in centuary: US to put image of a woman on USD 10 note

Perhaps you meant Sanctuary  :)

Bimat

Haha good observation! The source I quoted is not known to be a very good one as far as quality of news is concerned... ;)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

augsburger

Hmm... this is surprising that the US managed to actually do something with their currency.

Could it be that women are starting to be seen as equal in the US now?  >:D

eurocoin

Hamilton will remain on the 10 dollar banknote. It isn't clear whether a woman will be added on the same banknote or if a portrait of a woman will be introduced on a different denomination.

Figleaf

Quote from: augsburger on June 20, 2015, 04:21:08 AM
Could it be that women are starting to be seen as equal in the US now?

Not if Trump can help it. ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

eurocoin

The portrait of Harriet Tubman will be included on the $20 banknote. Tubman fought slavery and oppression. She is the first woman to be featured on a banknote of the USA in 100 years. The notes will be issued in 2020. The treasury received 1,5 million responses to their request for suggestions on the currency redesign. Former president Andrew Jackson will still be depicted on the other side of the banknote.

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bimat

Figleaf

Time magazine, 25th April has a story on this (pages 36-39). It suggests the change of heart was caused by the musical Hamilton (the guy who's on the 10 dollar note now). Not as shallow as the "New Coke" flap, but trying hard.

Peter

redlock

Quote from: Figleaf on April 22, 2016, 02:21:08 PM
Not if Trump can help it.

Peter

Indeed. Surely influenced by Mr. Trump Secretary Mnuchin has put a hold on the re-design. The new notes won't come before 2026/2028 instead of 2020.
Frankly, I am surprised it was only postponed and not canceled all together. Perhaps Mnuchin wanted to spare Trump getting into yet one more political fracas.

Here's one link with the news:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/us/harriet-tubman-bill.html

P.S.:
Perhaps this thread should get a new title as it's the $20 banknote.  ;)

eurocoin

The Washington Post has spoken with several high-ranking government officials who served in the Obama administration, all of which have stated that the Trump administration has not delayed the new 20 dollar notes. One of the government officials they have spoken to is the former director of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP).

A report of the Advanced Counterfeit Deterrence committee made in 2013 already mentioned that, given the amount of work that still had to be done, it would not be possible to release the new notes before 2030. Before Larry R. Felix left as director of the BEP in 2015 he too informed the Treasury that their plans to release the new notes in 2020 were not grounded in reality. All of this didn't keep Obama from officially announcing 2020 as the date of issuance of the new notes.

redlock

Quote from: eurocoin on July 30, 2019, 04:18:16 PM
A report of the Advanced Counterfeit Deterrence committee made in 2013 already mentioned that, given the amount of work that still had to be done, it would not be possible to release the new notes before 2030.

Granted, it's the mighty US Dollar and the notes are used around the world heavily. Still, the time frame (2013--2030) is utterly ridiculous. Perhaps, the BEP should have asked for help from De La Rue or Oberthur ;D
Yes, I know it's not feasable for a couple of reasons.  ;)

Figleaf

I did some fact checking. The Obama administration worked with the same time line as the Trump crowd. While it is quite possible that Obama or someone in his entourage got overly enthusiastic, I haven't found a report that he personally promised the actual note in 2020.

Trump has argued against the note in public. One report said that Mnuchin had re-announced the 2028 date in order to stop Trump from cancelling the note, as it supported Mnuchin's argument that it would be issued only after Trump's second term. Mnuchin was happy when that was translated as a "delay", as Trump liked that. I have not found confirmation of that story. It may be speculative, but I note that while Trump is without any doubt a racist and while he collects other racists around him, it does not follow that all members of the Trump administration are racists.

The principal reason why US banknotes must be printed in the US is called Crane Currency. See also this story.

Peter

eurocoin

Although the US didn't manage to release the new $20 note in time for the 100th anniversary of women's suffrage, when American women gained the right to vote, the issuance of a silver $1 coin for the occasion was yesterday approved by President Trump.

He commented:

"The $1 coins that will be issued under the act will honor the vital history of the women's suffrage movement and celebrate many of the brave heroes who fought for the right to vote, such as Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Harriet Tubman, and Ida B. Wells."

And referring to the issuance of the coin:

"They've been working on this for years and years. And I'm curious, why wasn't it done a long time ago? ... Well, I guess the answer to that is because now I'm president, and we get things done. We get a lot of things done that nobody else got done."