News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Deciphering an inscription.

Started by bagerap, May 17, 2019, 02:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bagerap

An interesting line of research.

From finds.org.uk

A copper-alloy medal dating to the period 1790-1799. The medal was issued by the Society of Industry (founded 1783), to a boy named Sam Wright, aged 10. The medal is the work of John Milton (1759-1805) (Stainton 1983).

Obverse: PLENTY & PEACE ARE THE FRUITS OF INDUSTRY & SUBORDINATION; a draped female figure seated, holding an olive branch, while another female empties a cornucopia at her feet. Between them, a bee-hive.

Reverse: SOCIETY OF INDUSTRY FOUNDED XXIX NOVEMBER MDCCLXXXIII; text over four lines: 5 PREMIUM / SAM WR[IG]HT / AGED 10 / 179[ ].

This medal is testimony to an initiative undertaken in the 1780s and 90s to help poor children across some 143 parishes in Lincolnshire. At the time of writing, this is the only surviving medal that bears the name of the awarded child.

Full article:

Record ID: LIN-16C4CD - POST MEDIEVAL medal

I need advice on how best to bring out the buried engraving. I do know that the first line appears to be 10 Premium, which will make some kind of sense if you read the full finds.org link. The other inscribed medal is done in upper case block capitals. Mine in copperplate.

malj1

Can you do another photo of the reverse without using the flash?

I changed the image to B/W and inverted which helps a little but with a better photo I might get it a little better.

Perhaps email it to me directly.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

FosseWay

Is the first word on the second line Matthew? Can't make out the surname though.

malj1

I think its Mafter i.e. Master. though could be Matthew
Malcolm

malj1

I'm now fairly confident the word is Mifstrefs (Mistress) but can't get much further. Still a problem with light it need a photo taken in daylight.

10 Premium
Rv. xx  ....perhaps  Bouyer
Mifstrefs xxx
Aug? 9 x 1787   I think its 1787 but this disagrees with the research but the fact its in script says it earlier.
Malcolm

eurocoin

I am pretty sure it is Matthew.
The thing before the date looks somewhat like Æ.

FosseWay

Æ is a reasonably common abbreviation of ætate, at the age of. But could it be Apr or Ap for April? At the end of that line is definitely a year (I think 1787). If I am right, there should be a numeral for the day of month in between.

malj1

It could be Æ 9y 1787

The other known one also has only the year 179[ ].
Malcolm

bagerap

I've been fortunate to find a facebook group dedicated to restoring old photographs, and they've had an initial play, coming up with  Martin William age 9 1787.

eurocoin

Although the work they have done is helpful, I am far from convinced.

FosseWay

William (rather than Williams) is an unusual surname, and it would seem odd to list two forenames and no surname. I can kind of make out the W but wonder whether the end of that word is actually ...son.

malj1

Malcolm