BLANDS - NOTED SHOP FOR CAKES&BREAD, 1 PENNY

Started by ZYV, April 27, 2019, 03:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZYV

5.36 g
27.1 mm

In the Internet I can find only 1/4 penny of this shop:
Blands Cakes & Bread Farthing Token - Newport Past Potpourri Search

As I understand, this token was used as 1 penny piece in  "NOTED SHOP FOR CAKES&BREAD".
My publications on numismatics and history of Golden Horde  https://independent.academia.edu/ZayonchkovskyYuru

Figleaf

The name of the shop is Blands. They sell bread and cakes. "Noted shop" is an understatement that wants to convey the message that the shop is upper class. "Value given" means you get a discount. Does that answer your question?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

ZYV

Quote from: Figleaf on April 27, 2019, 08:23:15 PM
Does that answer your question?
I did not ask a question, dear Figleaf.
I showed a rare token.
Maybe someone is interested.  :)
My publications on numismatics and history of Golden Horde  https://independent.academia.edu/ZayonchkovskyYuru

malj1

I had a question as soon as opened that link, which Newport? ...there are ten in the UK! it wasn't immediately obvious which from using that site.

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

Newport in Wales. There is a reference to the river Wye in the history section. Though Newport is on the river Usk, the Wye valley is near by.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

With the boundary changes made (I think in the 1970s) this Newport is longer in Wales!
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

FosseWay

It is indeed Newport in Monmouthshire/Gwent, aka Casnewydd. If you look on the Births Marriages Deaths page on the link, you see copies of certifcates  etc. in Welsh.

(Re not being in Wales - it's actually the other way round. For some time, I forget how long, before the county reorganisation in 1974, Monmouthshire was in England. Since 1974 it has been definitively in Wales, sends AMs to the Welsh National Assembly and issues birth certificates in Welsh. I know the latter because some American friends lived in Chepstow for a while, during which time they had a couple of kids, and the kids' Welsh birth certificates attracted considerable interest at a show and tell session at their school after the family moved back to the US.)

bagerap

I was running a pub in Chepstow in 1979, just at the time when the BBC were considering offering an all Welsh TV service, which later became S4C. They ran a survey to determine the number and distribution of Welsh speakers. When the results were collated it was found that the number of Welsh speakers in Gwent, <150, was far exceeded by the number of speakers of Cantonese.

My driving licence was renewed at this time, bilingually. Much to the subsequent confusion of English traffic policemen.

Figleaf

FosseWay

Quote from: Figleaf on April 28, 2019, 11:01:19 PM
Traffic policemen have been known to be bewildered by a driving license before.

Peter

The Prawo Jazdy example is slightly more forgivable, since I presume only the Polish appears on Polish driving licences (my Swedish one says only "Körkort"). Welsh ones, on the other hand, will have the text in both Welsh and English, since both are official languages in Wales. It shouldn't really be that confusing for a traffic cop! (If you can find one.)

Figleaf

You should see French officials and bank staff study my passport. Not only are labels translated in French, but also, the data are in the exact same spot as they are on French passports. Yet, there is panic or concentration on their face as they hunt for the French labels. I don't get irritated, but I enjoy the expression on their faces and sometimes, I remember myself working on a Czech version of PowerPoint in a Prague hotel. :)

Peter