Octagonal Australian "T" token

Started by bagerap, April 25, 2019, 04:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bagerap

This is the seller's image, and all I have to work with. I do know that's it's uniface.

malj1

T is for Tea, of which there are many varieties with and without punched holes and various shaped holes.

Another very similar has a large B - is for Biscuits.

All used in government offices for a cup of tea and biscuits throughout Australia.  All are uniface.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

bagerap

Too easy to credit. Thanks Mal, any idea of date?
It's wonderful that a government should mint such large and impressive looking tea tokens even though it is tacitly understood throughout the Commonwealth that tea is the universal lubricant.

malj1

I did an article for the Queensland Numismatic Society magazine some years ago

Another Series of C of A Tea Tokens.
By Malcolm Johnson

Another series of Commonwealth of Australia Tea Tokens has emerged that were in use by the Department of Labour and National Service during the 1960's and 70's at the Commonwealth Centre, Chifley Square, Sydney, NSW. The collection was stored away in the US over thirty years ago.

The first three shown are as those listed in George Shea's Food Numismatica of Australia, namely C16/17.

01 C16a
COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA B TOKEN ℞ Blank; Aluminium, 27.2 mm

For Tea and Biscuits, these tokens were used at the Commonwealth Office building in Sydney for the control of tea money; with a value of 4 cents.

02 C16b
COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA B TOKEN ℞ Blank; Aluminium, 27.2 mm

With the B punched out; uncertain as to the purpose of these.

03 C17
COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA T TOKEN ℞ Blank; Aluminium, 27.2 mm

Used for Tea only, tea was served twice daily at the Commonwealth office block at 10am and 2.30pm to all employees free of charge. Value 2 cents.

Next we have a pair of red plastic tokens;

COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA B TOKEN ℞ Blank; Hexagonal red plastic, 20 mm

Similar to the above Tea and Biscuits token but smaller.

COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA T TOKEN ℞ Blank; Round red plastic, 22 mm.

Similar to the above Tea token but these are smaller and round.

A series of card chits were used at the Commonwealth Centre in Sydney, it appears there were many coffee drinkers as well as the usual tea drinkers. Typewritten and produced on a duplicating machine, the chits were then separated into approximate sizes with scissors. All the following are typewritten on one side only, leaving the reverse blank; a wet ink transfer shows on the reverse of some pieces.

THE C'WEALTH CENTRE, TEA ONLY, SYDNEY, hand-signed by Mr. John Woodcock, Cafeteria Manager, 1965; Hand-made, dark-buff coloured card approx 58 X 46mm.

THE C'WEALTH CENTRE, COFFEE ONLY, SYDNEY, hand-signed by Mr. John Woodcock, Cafeteria Manager, 1965; Hand-made, white card approx. 64 X 48mm

THE C'WEALTH CENTRE, COFFEE ONLY, SYDNEY, hand-signed by Jim Danaher O.I.C. Food Services Section, 1967; Hand-made, buff coloured card approx. 55 X 46mm

THE C'WEALTH CENTRE, COFFEE ONLY, SYDNEY, hand-signed by Mr. Frank Butterworth, Senior Catering Advisor, Operations, 1969; Hand-made, buff coloured card approx. 59 X 49mm

THE C'WEALTH CENTRE, COFFEE ONLY, SYDNEY, hand-signed by Mr. Frank Butterworth, Senior Catering Advisor, Operations, 1970; Hand-made, white card varied sizes, approx. 55 X 50mm to 42 X 55mm

A leaflet describing the training programme for the Cafeteria staff is shown for the year July 1970 to June 1971.

Finally a pair of paper chits used by the Commonwealth Department of Works for the control of tea money; tea was at the expense of the government.
The C.D.W. was at Australia Square, Sydney, NSW.

C.D.W. FOUR CENTS TEA & BISCUITS TOKEN with serial number 08594.
Blank reverse, off-white, measures 27.7 X 52mm.

TEA ONLY with serial number 46321
Blank reverse, pale-green, measures 29.8 X 51.2mm. Printed by Rayprint Sydney.

Ref. Food Numismatica of Australia, G N Shea 2008

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.