News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Really not sure

Started by gpimper, April 16, 2019, 03:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpimper

I believe this one to be Arabic but I could be way off base...any assist, as always, is very much welcome :-) Sorry, I got the lettering wrong in the first pic.  Copper, I've lost my Metric ruler so I'm calling an inch and it weights around 4.9 grams.
After input and research I believe this to be an Egyptian mint 5 or 10 Para.  Thank you all!
The Chief...aka Greg

jaspersaini

It's Turkish coin, most likely 10 Para coin.

gpimper

Cool, Thank you!  My girl has a tendency to try to take over our conversations :-)
The Chief...aka Greg

altaycoins

Ottoman Empire, Mahmud II

Figleaf

I challenged your daughter to read a date in Arabic and convert it to an AD date with the help of this site. Now it's your turn, except that there is a slight complication. The date comes in two parts. The first is the date of accession, the second the year of reign, e.g. if the year of accession in 1255 and the year of reign is 2, the date to convert 1257. Simple, yet uncomplicated ;)

Turn the side on the first photo 90° anti-clockwise. The year of accession is the lowest line. Numbers read from left to right, so the first digit is a one. The year of reign is the uppermost line. There are two digits there and the last one is a 9.

Now that you have a date, we'll go for the mint. There is a three-letter word just below the regnal year: ضرب It means struck. Numismatists usually pronounce it as zarb. The mint name is normally nearby. Don't worry about the elongated characters. They mean at and are often not even on the coin. What remains is the penultimate line, above the date of accession. That's the mint. There are two mints in the Ottoman empire that were by far the most prolific and this is one of them: Cairo. The Arab word is misr. Within the Ottoman empire, Egypt had an amount of autonomy and struck its own coin types. Therefore , in catalogues, this coin will be listed under Egypt. BTW, the other really big mint is القسطنطينية Kustantinye, now know as Istanbul. Just remember the two letters t ط. They look like minarets.

All that remains is the denomination. You often find it on the other side, below the intricate design (a toughra, the ruler's calligraphed "signature"), but not on this coin. It may have been worked into the toughra, but even so it would be too worn to read. Here's where the link I gave your daughter comes in useful, except that there is an error in their listing. There is a less detailed listing of your coin here.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

gpimper

Thank you!  I would not have thought to look there.
The Chief...aka Greg