Anatolian Principalities, Eretnids, 'Ala al-Din Eretna, 736-753, AR Dirham,

Started by capnbirdseye, March 30, 2019, 04:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capnbirdseye

Another from my recent lot but not managed to find something similar

AR19,  1.80g
Vic

capnbirdseye

A reply on zeno is that it's an Eretnid dirham of Sulayman, local imitation, 2 upper lines are written in Uighur
Vic

Figleaf

Looked up Eretnid and found this. What is the connection with Uyghur? Their Eastern "border" seems to be somewhere just West of Tashkent.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

capnbirdseye

Quote from: Figleaf on March 31, 2019, 01:28:38 PM
Looked up Eretnid and found this. What is the connection with Uyghur? Their Eastern "border" seems to be somewhere just West of Tashkent.

Peter

I'm not sure, info was given by charm on zeno as :At the left side 2 upper lines are written in Uighur. First line is sultan (with some distortions).
Vic

capnbirdseye

Coins been renamed on zeno, now ruler is  'Ala al-Din Eretna, 736-753
Vic

aws22

Dear Vic, your coin details:
Eretnid, 'Ala al-Din Eretna, Type III, AR Akce, 74x ?, Ma'dan mint (AH 747-753/1346-1352)
First Photo (Reverse): In Hexagram:
Field
'Ala al-Din Eretna  (Uyghur writing)
خلد الله ملكه Kahhada Allah Mulkahu
The character at the bottom, mint mark, possible " معدان Ma'dan ".
Margin
Mint & Date
Second Photo (Obverse): In looped square:
Field
لا اله الا الله La Ilaha Illa Allah
محمد Muhammad
رسول الله Rasul Allah
'Ala al-Din Eretna's death was in 753 AH. I used this reference:
Ottoman, Isfendiyarid and Eretnid coinage : a curency community in fourteenth

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

capnbirdseye

Thank you again Maythem for such a detailed description, I'm wondering about that little symbol at the bottom of the left image, I did not notice a zeno example with the same mark. I will add a question on zeno ..
Vic

aws22

Dear Vic, I have collected the following mint marks:
Sivas mint (Six pointed star)
Bayburt mint (7 dots flower shape)
Erzincan mint (Bull/Taurus head shape)

Maythem

capnbirdseye

Excellent, I could not find another quite like the one on mine although it's designated on zeno as a local imitation
Vic

aws22

Dear Vic, a similar mint mark I found at Rodomons but it is marked (mint off):
Rondomons.nl your online coin store,+Eretna,+736-753++(1335-1352)&screenwidth=1280&screenheight=720

Maythem

altaycoins

Are we sure about calling them mintmarks?

I aggree that 7 dotted flower shape almost exclusively used by the Bayburt mint but there are also examples with taurus shape from Sivas. Sivas also used trinity symbol. Saadet knot used by Kayseri and Cankiri mints.

So even if one mint adopts one symbol more than other mints, attributions made solely by these symbols might be misleading.

Nevertheless, I have found one specimen from Kegonya (although I haven't searched thoroughly) with the same symbol on capnbirdseye's coin in the book of Haluk Perk and Husnu Ozturk.

aws22

Thank you Yigit, I followed those characters and compared them with the mint places. My conclusion was that each character was relevant to a mint place. You are right about not calling them mintmarks but I was trying through those characters to find out the mint place for capnbirdseye's coin.

Maythem