News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Triskele!

Started by Prosit, November 09, 2009, 12:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbadexample

Appears to have been cleaned, unfortunately, but a fairly decent example nonetheless. "Atlas" penny token 1811, Tn#11.

Figleaf

I thought the legend was somewhat uninformative if you'd want real money, having received 12 of these, so I set out to discover who issued them.

The issuers were John Beatson and George Copeland. They had a liquor store in Douglas, but were also agents for Atlas Fire insurance.

The missing link is of course oil lamps. If in your drunken stupor, you kick over an oil lamp and set your house on fire, you'd be happy with fire insurance and if you don't survive the fire, Beatson and Copeland will drink to your health and thank you for your business at your funeral :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

mrbadexample

Peter, I had been wondering where Atlas fitted into it. Thank you for answering my unasked question!  :)

mrbadexample

James Stanley penny. This one's Bath metal so KM#5b.

Figleaf

:o :o :o

Better than when struck ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

mrbadexample

Two Atlas halfpennies. Pridmore 59 (KM#Tn4) & 60 (KM#Tn5)

malj1

I have been seeking that second type for over 50 years without success.  :'(
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

mrbadexample

Success came at a price Mal. :-X

Despite the poor condition I knew I'd not likely see another so used my 50th birthday as justification.  ;)

My other present to myself was this shilling.

malj1

I have the shilling be it a poor one as its holed and repaired with lead.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

mrbadexample

I've seen it Mal. I'm probably nearly as familiar as you are with your IOM coins. ;)

I covet your 1815 mule - I've never seen another.  :P

mrbadexample

Quote from: mrbadexample on March 22, 2017, 05:40:30 PM
It's a flan flaw Peter.

Here's another on a half penny token - quite spectacular this one.

andyg

Did you break that one?

Very nice :)
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

mrbadexample

No, not mine that one. Spotted on ebay. :)

mrbadexample

Latest addition, albeit lacking a triskelion. Douglas Bank half crown token, KM# Tn13.

Figleaf

A jalousatious acquitionary. Good grief, what a beauty.

Peter