Three Swami Pagodas of South India

Started by gsrctr, October 07, 2017, 07:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oesho

The last coin depicted would be an early Dutch three Murthy pagoda, possibly struck at Pulicat (ca. 1646-1670). The pagoda shown above may also be a Dutch three Murthy pagoda, but probably struck between 1740-1758 as it resembles the BEIC three Murthy pagoda struck at Madras from c.1740-1807. All parties were copying each other's currency and it remains a though job to differentiate between the different Trading Companies, particularly as there were also local authorities engaged.

gsrctr

Thank you, Oesho. I have seen only one other copy of the first one. so I guess it's rare as well.

As I educate myself more (finally managed to get copies of Scholten, Pridmore and Paul Stevens books), I am beginning to enjoy this more than my regular job :).

gsrctr

Just when I thought I had exhausted all varieties, I came across two more that I managed to acquire!! They are definitely different from the others I posted earlier, maybe even a little different from each other. Spending time looking at all the varieties, it seems as though these two might be the first version of the three swamy pagodas by BEIC. The design of the deities has resemblance to the second version of BEIC three swamy pagodas from 1740 - 1807.

Figleaf

Congratulations, gsrctr and thanks for posting them here. They will be a reference for many others. Exhausted ll varieties? You must be joking.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

gsrctr

You are right, Peter - I spoke too soon :).
Here is one more that I just bought. It looks different from all the others.

Figleaf

Ahh. Fun. It reminds me of the first coin in Reply #9, small differences in left arm and shoulder and hips.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.