News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Mughal - Nasir Al-Din Humayun - AR Mitqal CM over Timurid Tanka Sultan 'Ali

Started by maudry, January 17, 2019, 04:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maudry

The style of this coin reminds me a Safavid coin.
The 4 however is not Persian  ???
Size: 24mm
Weight: 4.69gr

saro

On coins, things are not always what  they look like and here, the date "984" is not a date, but a part of the Kalima... 9 & 8 belong to "Muhammad" and the arabic 4 is the sin of "rasul"
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

saro

The Kalima in a square area with knots at corners is very similar to some mughal coins of Shah Jahan.
Your coin could be a Safavid one and my guess is that it could belong to Shah Abbas I , contemporary of Shah Jahan ?
However, a reference is still to find...

saro

The coin has been overstamped and the Kalima is somewhat erased but it could be the sunni formula ? and if so it isn't a Safavid coin...
a tanka ora shahrukhi of a mughal ruler or pretender  ???  Kamran Mirza ?

Figleaf

It is pretty educational to think in public, saro. FWIW, the square with knot reminded me of Indian silver, but since Audry most often comes up with Afghan and Iranian coins I didn't blabber. I should have. Very grateful to have people who can read these coins on board.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

saro

Quote from: Figleaf on January 18, 2019, 10:15:03 AM
It is pretty educational to think in public
Just to try to make progress to a possible ID...

legible parts give : "zarb / al-sultan al-'azam (2nd line) and on left : abual-muzzafar / khald Allah..."
which don't give great help  :-\
on the other face :there is the Kalima with the 4 first caliphs names & epithets of which :" (Ali) "the pleasing of God" and "Abu Bekr & epithet" are only legible at top and on left.

saro

Finally identified ! It is a Timurid tanka of Sultan 'Ali of this type, with a counterstamp " :'adl..yu (or ha).." / my guess : 'adl Shah Humayun (or 'adl Herat)" ???

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

aws22

Great finding Saro, the counterstamp reads " Adl Shah Humayun عدل شاه همايون ", India. Mughal, Nasir-ud Din Muhammad Humayun (937-947 AH)(1530-1540 AD).

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

saro

Thank you Peter & Maythem; looking attentively at this coin, it is the barely readable word " 'Ali" which was decisive ...

aws22

Dear maudry and Saro, to complete the coin ID, hereunder is coin detail:
Counterstamp reads " Adl Shah Humayun عدل شاه همايون ", India. Mughal, Nasir-ud Din Muhammad Humayun (937-947 AH)(1530-1540 AD).
Host coin, Timurid, Sultan 'Ali Mirza (900-905 AH)(1495-1500 AD), ruler of Samarqand:
Obverse, first photo :
ضرب \ السلطان الأعظم ابو المظفر سلطان علي بهادر خان خلد الله تعالى ملكه وسلطانه  , al-Sultan al-'Azam Abu al-Muzaffar Sultan Ali bahadur Khan Kallad Allah Ta'ala mulkahu wa sulatnahu, zarb (at the top).
The mint place is at the bottom possibly " Samarqand سمرقند " (not visible).
Reverse second photo:
Central Kufic legend in a square with knots at corners:
  لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
   La ilah illa Allah, Muhammad rasulu-Allah
(There is no deity except God, Muhammad is the messenger of God)
Around in margin, the names of 4 orthodox caliphs with their titles:
(ابو بكر الصديق \ عمر الفاروق \ عثمان ذالنورين \ علي المرتضى)

Maythem

Figleaf

Samarqand! WOW. A piece of history indeed. A Persian house, pretending to be Mongols, in fact Timurids on their way to becoming world leaders. What a powerful document.

Peter

aws22

Thank you Peter, on the similar host coin, the mint place is clear at 7 O'clock " Samarqand سمرقند ".

Maythem

saro

Timurid tanka of Shah Husayn Baiqara countermarked by Babur are known, why not by his son ? : same weight / same look and re-validated with the name of the new ruler...all was fine for the bankers who made business and not philosophy   :)...

The dots on each side of the ornament at right corner are in fact dots of letters "i" of " تضى"  and "b" of " ابو.
" ; notice that on the left corner, there is no dot  ;)