News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Photobucket stops third party hosting

Started by Overlord, June 30, 2017, 09:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

As this goes against Photobucket's policy, they will find out one day and stop it. It's best to see this solution as a very handy stopgap and seek a more permanent solution.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bimat

It seems that Photobucket's new policy to stop free third party hosting has backfired. They are sending me three mails everyday to upgrade to paid service (which costs around $1.10 per day)!

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

bagerap

Who owns Photobucket? I ask, because starting this week you will get the following message if you use HTML hotlinks in your ebay text:

We found non-secure HTTP content in your listing. Browsers display a not secure message on pages that contains HTTP resources. For a secure buyer experience, you must update your content.

If you follow their explanatory link you see this:

HTTPS stands for Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure and is the safest way to transmit information over the network. When pages use HTTPS, web browsers display a padlock icon to reassure online shoppers that the page they are visiting is safe.
If pages aren't using HTTPS, they display a security warning. For example, Google Chrome displays the message "Your connection to this site is not secure" and this can turn away potential buyers as well as having a negative impact on how your listing performs in search results.

How could this affect your listings?
Earlier in 2017, Google announced that from October 2017, the Google Chrome browser will start to display a Not secure icon when users enter data on an HTTP page and on all HTTP pages visited in Incognito mode.
We believe that online shoppers who see this type of security warning when browsing eBay.co.uk are less likely to buy your products.
To coincide with this, from October 2017 we'll start expanding usage of the HTTPS communication protocol across eBay for all listings that are HTTPS compliant.
After this date, if you use externally hosted content in your eBay listings that do not use the HTTPS communications protocol, buyers will see a security warning when they visit your listing in incognito mode or input any data on the listings page.

I'm pretty sure that Photobucket hotlinks have the HTTPS tag, although Tinypic (also owned by Photobucket) does not. I have looked at my listings from another account and found no sign of the aforementioned warning, but perhaps it comes on the payment page. Yet another reason for me to stick to Etsy.

eurocoin

After an enormous amount of complaints of Photobucket users who refused to pay $399 per year and the subsequent removal of their CEO who had come up with the idea, all of the images that were at the time replaced with a ransom banner have now been restored. They do have a rather small Photobucket watermark on them though.

Bimat

Excellent news! This is unlikely to reverse the damage that has been done, though.

Does this mean that whatever broken links which are on forum will be 'fixed' automatically?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

eurocoin

Quote from: Bimat on December 30, 2018, 07:20:23 AMDoes this mean that whatever broken links which are on forum will be 'fixed' automatically?

I believe so, yes.

eurocoin

Unortunately they have now decided that not only will all images have a watermark, but they will also be blurred rendering them completely useless.