Guernsey: preliminary designs for the 1983 pound coin

Started by <k>, May 03, 2017, 10:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Guernsey pound sketch 1982.jpg

Guernsey pound sketch 1982-.jpg

in 1982 Guernsey asked the Royal Mint to produce a design of HMS Crescent for a new pound coin.

Robert Elderton produced two initial sketches.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Guernsey pound 1982.jpg

Here you see Guernsey's response.

<k>

Guernsey pound 1983.jpg

The ultimate design was not issued until 1983.

Figleaf

Glad the chose the stern view. The bow view has a missing mast and no sprit sails. All "naval historians" would have complained about that one.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

Guernsey pound plus unknown.jpg

I recently revisited the document from which these images were taken (MINT-35-CP5-Z).

I noticed this image of a 25 cents coin, above.

It was included above an image of an apparent plaster model of a Guernsey pound dated 1982

That was a year before the pound coin's actual release.

I have edited the images to show them side by side.

Can anybody identify this 25 cents design?

eurocoin

Quote from: <k> on December 26, 2018, 12:19:15 PM
Can anybody identify this 25 cents design?

Unrealised design of a never issued 25 cents coin for Fiji, because of the distinct pattern around the rim?

<k>

Quote from: eurocoin on December 26, 2018, 03:25:57 PMUnrealised design of a never issued 25 cents coin for Fiji, because of the distinct pattern around the rim?

Fiji 20 cents.jpg

Ingenious thought. Yes, Fijian coins of that time did have dentillations around the rim.

However, Fiji used a 20 cents coin - not 25.

The design made me think of Lesotho, but then Lesotho uses lisente, not cents.

eurocoin

Hmm, I remain convinced the design was made for Fiji and that Fiji considered introducing a 25 cents coin (possibly instead of the 20 cents coin). Sugar canes also live on Fiji. Unfortunately there are no records to prove my theory.

Certainly worth asking the mint though.

<k>

Quote from: eurocoin on December 26, 2018, 06:01:29 PM
Sugar canes also live on Fiji.

That is certainly true.

Quote from: eurocoin on December 26, 2018, 06:01:29 PM
Hmm, I remain convinced the design was made for Fiji and that Fiji considered introducing a 25 cents coin (possibly instead of the 20 cents coin). Unfortunately there are no records to prove my theory.

I found no evidence of this when I looked at the Royal Mint files in the National Archives: Fiji: unrealised decimal designs. It's possible that such a coin was considered later, possibly as some sort of FAO commemorative. Fiji models its circulation denominational system on Australia's, but Australia does not use a 25 cents coin.

Certainly worth asking the mint though.

Unless you had a definite year for the piece (and we don't), the mint would probably have trouble locating such a piece.