Will an Indian appear on UK notes?

Started by Pabitra, November 27, 2018, 09:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pabitra

eurocoin

Never heard of the guy before and I don't think his achievements were all too noteworthy compared to some of the other scientists on the list. I nominated Stephen Hawking.

quaziright

Its questionable and highly subjective what is and is not noteworthy. However, it is natural to think Stephen hawking would be most likely by virtue of just recently kicking the can

Bimat

As expected, Indian media is doing lot of noise over this. They are reporting as if his name is final. I don't think that this will ever happen. Why would UK prefer an Indian on British banknote? ??? That's next to impossible.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

quaziright

The news article in the NYTimes focused on Margaret Thatcher for her scientific fame as an intern chemist that "contributed" within the team to the Mr. Whippy soft serve scoop  ;D

Figleaf

I don't care if they use his portrait or not, but my hero, Alan Turing, deserves honour and glory, not just for thinking up a computer before it existed and being instrumental in breaking German codes during the second world war, but also for being hounded to death by British authorities.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bimat

Quote from: Figleaf on November 30, 2018, 09:35:52 AM
I don't care if they use his portrait or not, but my hero, Alan Turing, deserves honour and glory, not just for thinking up a computer before it existed and being instrumental in breaking German codes during the second world war, but also for being hounded to death by British authorities.

Peter

It may not happen... :(

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

eurocoin

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Alan71

Already criticism that there will be only one woman in this series of banknotes, and no person from an ethnic minority.  However, Alan Turing does represent the LGBT community, so that is one minority covered!