List of Coins Issuing Princely States and Independent Kingdoms

Started by Abhay, August 29, 2013, 11:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abhay

Here is a list of various Independent Kingdoms and Princely States of India, which had issued coins:

INDEPENDENT KINGDOMS:

1.  ARAKAN
2.  ASSAM
3.  COOCH BEHAR
4.  JAINTIAPUR
5.  KACHAR
6.  MANIPUR
7.  FARRUKHABAD
8.  MARATHA
9.  JAMMU
10.  MYSORE
11.  ROHILKHAND
12.  SIKH
13.  SIKKIM

INDIAN PRINCELY STATES:

1.  ALWAR
2.  ARCOT
3.  AWADH
4.  BAHAWALPUR
5.  BANSWARA
6.  BARODA
7.  BELA
8.  BHARATPUR
9.  BHAUNAGAR
10.  BHOPAL
11.  BIJAWAR
12.  BIKANIR
13.  BINDRABAN
14.  BROACH
15.  BUNDI
16.  CAMBAY
17.  CANNANORE
18.  CHAMBA
19.  CHHATARPUR
20.  CHHOTA UDAIPUR
21.  CIS SUTLEJ STATES
22.  COCHIN
23.  COORG
24.  DATIA
25.  DEWAS - JR AND SR BRANCH
26.  DHAR
27.  DHOLPUR
28.  DUNGARPUR
27.  GHARWAL
28.  GWALIOR
29.  HYDERABAD
30.  INDORE
31.  JAFARABAD
32.  JAIPUR
33.  JAISALMIR
34.  JANJIRA ISLAND
35.  JAORA
36.  JHABUA
37.  JHALAWAR
38.  JODHPUR
39.  JUNAGARH
40.  KALAT
41.  KARAULI
42.  KASHMIR
43.  KISHANGARH
44.  KOLHAPUR
45.  KOTA
46.  KUTCH
47.  LADAKH
48.  LUNAVADA
49.  MAKRAI
50.  MEWAR
51.  MYSORE
52.  NARWAR
53.  NAWANAGAR
54.  ORCHHA
55.  PANNA
56.  PARTABGARH
57.  PORBANADAR
58.  RADHANPUR
59.  RAJKOT
60.  RAMPUR
61.  RATLAM
62.  REWA
63.  SAILANA
64.  SITAMAU
65.  TONK
66.  TRAVANCORE
67.  TRIPURA

Any suggestions to add or delete a state/kingdom are welcome.

Abhay

INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

dheer

Great. This was the list I was looking for. Is it possible to include the rough time period when they issued coins.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

natko

Quote from: dheer on August 29, 2013, 11:34:02 AM
Great. This was the list I was looking for. Is it possible to include the rough time period when they issued coins.
Just wanted to ask for that when seen the topic. I expect the list to be longer as we go into the past.

Coinsforever

Quote from: Abhay on August 29, 2013, 11:21:06 AM
Here is a list of various Independent Kingdoms and Princely States of India, which had issued coins:

Thanks for this work of appreciation .

However list will   never become perfect unless others contribute and develop it further .

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

repindia

I was reading an article only last week about gold double mohurs being reported for Palanpur. This was an article by Pukhraj J. Surana and he claims to have seen these coins dated between AH 1235 and 1275. The inscriptions were-->
Obv: Name of the Nawab of Palanpur Riyasat
Rev: Zarb Palanpur and date

The whole lot were melted at the IG Mint, Bombay.

Since we have no other proof, there is no need to include this in your list, but I thought it was cool never the less.

PS: I classify Dewas Sn and Dewas Jr Branches as separate states since they had separate administrations.

repindia

I once noted that Steve Album sold two paisa coins noted as from "Jaldhari" and the other from "Mejidpur". They were classified under IPS and not Mughal and no state was assigned to them and I assumed they were some small princely state. I asked Steve and was told that research on this was done by Prashant Kulkarni (which in all probability was not published). If anyone knows more about these then please let me know. These do not appear on any other IPS list and don't know what these are. Sorry for being slightly OT.

Abhay

OK, I must mention here that the above is a list of the PRINCELY STATE only, and does not include the various mints under a particular state. For example, if we take Princely state of Gwalior, then there are about 27 mints under the IPS Gwalior - Bhilsa, Basoda, Sipri, Harda, Seodha to name some.

So, it is quite possible that the new coins being found with a new mintname, could be under some Princely State, and not necessarily a state in itself. For example, Seodha is a newly researched mint, now attributed under Gwalior.

So, for any new coin with a new mintname, a thorough research is needed.

Abhay

Quote from: repindia on August 30, 2013, 04:24:30 PM
I once noted that Steve Album sold two paisa coins noted as from "Jaldhari" and the other from "Mejidpur". They were classified under IPS and not Mughal and no state was assigned to them and I assumed they were some small princely state. I asked Steve and was told that research on this was done by Prashant Kulkarni (which in all probability was not published). If anyone knows more about these then please let me know. These do not appear on any other IPS list and don't know what these are. Sorry for being slightly OT.
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

MORGENSTERNN

Some more IPS

Baria (unpublished)
Maler Kotla
Nabha
Pudukkottai
Sunth

Adhyam

Please add the following two:

Sawantwadi
Miraj [Patwardhans]

If I am not wrong, the Miraj paisa is unpublished. However, there were TWO Miraj states, Miraj Jr. and Miraj Sr. I am unsure as to which of these issued these paisas. They are popularly called the Miraj Paisas of Gopalrao Patwardhan.

capnbirdseye

Vic

sarwar khan

Quote from: repindia on August 30, 2013, 04:13:21 PM
I was reading an article only last week about gold double mohurs being reported for Palanpur. This was an article by Pukhraj J. Surana and he claims to have seen these coins dated between AH 1235 and 1275. The inscriptions were-->
Obv: Name of the Nawab of Palanpur Riyasat
Rev: Zarb Palanpur and date

The whole lot were melted at the IG Mint, Bombay.

Since we have no other proof, there is no need to include this in your list, but I thought it was cool never the less.

PS: I classify Dewas Sn and Dewas Jr Branches as separate states since they had separate administrations.
Sir any image of palanpur coin

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk