Dutch coffee machine tokens - please help complete the picture collection

Started by malj1, March 07, 2012, 12:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

Now, after an important contribution by jezuss, the list in the first six posts of this thread is up to date again. Don't be shy, if you see a rights-free picture of a coffee token let us know where it is or post it here.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

The coca cola token variety with square dots.
Malcolm

Figleaf

Thank you Malj1! Also, a new lot of pictures is now coming in from a non-member. I'll keep you informed.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

Malcolm

Figleaf

They are in now. I think all the pictures we have access to are now online. I started making pages without pictures. They are by far not as much fun to watch. Did I mention we need more pictures somewhere?

Peter

jezuss

tbs : technisch bureau gietijzerprodukten - soest
22.0 mm 4.1 gram brass

Figleaf

Many thanks, jezuss! The low price of these items belies the fact that the majority is actually quite difficult to find.

In other news, there are now pages for all producers, distributors and importers and practically all government organisations and enterprises.. Nice tidbits keep turning up. What is the share of armed aircraft of Operational Squadron 334 of the Dutch air force and why do they need a business jet? The answers are here.

Peter

jezuss

ops
20.0 mm 3.6 gram brass
mint-mark bow and arrow, so made by the dutch mint between 1989-1999

Figleaf

That's another page that no longer has any "broken links". Well done jezuss!

Peter

Henk

I have the following coffee token from the Netherlands which is not for use in a coffee machine;
Zinc, 30 mm. Holed at top
O: A. VUIJK & Zn. / KOFFIE
R: A

The name Vuijk is relatively common, there are several firms with this name. The most likely issuer seems to be a shipbuilder with this name, operating in Capelle aan den Ijssel from 1872 to 1979. See: https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._Vuijk_%26_Zonen

The token probably dates from the 1950's of 60's

Figleaf

Unless Mr. Vuijk dealt in coffee, it is likely a token that's good for coffee. The hole is presumably for easy collection and handling. The token pre-dates coffee machines. The metal and diameter are wrong, but common pre-1940. My best guess is that it was used like the Koolhoven token, whose use is described in the second paragraph here.

As for the issuer, the shipyard looks like a pretty good guess to me. There are several coffee machine tokens for shipyards in this area. A member of a historical society for one of them told me how a coffee token cost 5 cents. That's a pre-1940 price, therefore an indication that coffee tokens were in use on the yards before coffee machines came about. A shipyard is a large and cold place. It makes sense to have someone go around with coffee regularly, rather than have the workers drift to the canteen and back to work again.

I may be over-speculating, but it seems that the single A on the other side is the result of the dot after the A landing on the wrong place. The engraver shrugged and started again on the other side. That sort of procedure sounds like the tokens were made in-house. A shipyard would have the metal (zinc was used a.o. for piping on board), machines and know-how to do that.

May I encourage you to add this token to WoT? Let me know if you need help.

Peter

Henk

Quote from: Figleaf on November 22, 2018, 06:01:35 PM
I may be over-speculating, but it seems that the single A on the other side is the result of the dot after the A landing on the wrong place. The engraver shrugged and started again on the other side. That sort of procedure sounds like the tokens were made in-house.

I doubt the token was made by individually punching the letters, the inscription is far to regular for that. I assume it was die struck.

The years it was used is a guess having no documentary evidence. It may indeed have been before 1940

Figleaf

I am 100% sure it was engraved. The drill marks are visible inside the letters.

Peter

Figleaf

My Christmas loot included 20 coffee tokens. All are now online. That's 10 new pages and another ten pages with an extra picture. I made more fun little discoveries. Do you know whose statue this is? The answer is here. While you are there, find out why the countess of Buren was ... uhhh ... a little overweight :)

Peter