News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Dutch coffee machine tokens - please help complete the picture collection

Started by malj1, March 07, 2012, 12:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

That last bit answers my questions until I see a copy of Kooij ...I don't think tha't bookseller will agree to send to Oz.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

Quote from: malj1 on August 11, 2018, 01:20:20 PM
I don't think tha't bookseller will agree to send to Oz.

He already has, or I'd have done it. It is likely to be in the mail already, but maybe it has to go from the nearest big city to your hideout by 'roo :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

Autobar rang a bell for me but penny only just dropped. I have four British Autobar these have a simple large lower case 'a' on the obverse.

Hayes 2.        a rev. 2 vending brass 25mm
Hayes 2.1      a rev. 3 vending brass 21mm
Hayes 2.2      a rev. 5 vending brass 24mm
Hayes 2.3      a rev. 6 vending brass 19mm

Missing 2.4 which is as above but 10 brass 27.8mm
Malcolm

malj1

Bar-matic brass 18,5mm

I-spy a French mm
Malcolm

Figleaf

That's 41.1a! The variant without the mint mark is 1b. Kooy says it's Thevenon's triangle. These are the only two 18.5 mm tokens, but Kooij says they are common. 41.2 is 22 mm. Bar-Matic vending machines were imported by Bouter, whose tokens are 22.5 mm. Mysterious.

The Dutch Autobar tokens have a logo. They were imported by Automatic Holland.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

I thought it was Thevenon's triangle but was unsure as its a little battered.
Malcolm

Figleaf

Created some introductory pages and an extensive page for market leader Douwe Egberts. We still need a large amount of pictures. The tokens are often offered for sale on the net. Remember that it doesn't have to be your token. All we need is a rights free picture.

Peter

malj1

Another;

Smit Kinderdijk Cu-Ni 22.55mm KB412
Malcolm

Figleaf

A really great addition, malj1. The Smit family is legendary in Dutch economic history. Their story starts in 1695 with Jacques Luijdertszoon van Vreem, a Flemish protestant who escaped persecution and settled in Kinderdijk as a smith. His offspring took the family name Smit. One son became a shipbuilder. Successive generations built a number of shipyards and started a high seas tug and rescue service (Smit International) of global renown. In port cities all over the world, their ships were known by name and recognised on sight. For a good while, practically all of Kinderdijk's bread winners were Smit employees. The token was meant for one of the shipyards.

Peter

Figleaf

I started this project on the understanding that I can't do it alone. Here is a very specific example. I have just finished the page on FAEMA. Kooij distinguishes three variants of the token pictured below: broad edge (0.8 mm), thin edge (0.3 mm) and "mirror image". The first two are not clear from the single picture. The third is quite unclear. Since the price is low, it is not brockage or a wrong die. It might be en relief, since it is normally incuse, but that's just a guess. Do you have these tokens or pictures showing the difference?

Give malj1 and me a hand, please. Think of this project when you are surfing for coins.

Peter

Figleaf

Quote from: malj1 on August 06, 2018, 12:02:10 AM
Anonymous steel 22.1mm

Identified as Italian. See the BO S.A. Bergamo token and the anonymous token lower down.

Peter

note refers reply# 10

malj1

I imagine this would be as my image below...

6.   23.5 mm, ms, spiegelbeeld  1.00
Malcolm

Figleaf

Not likely, Malcolm. That would have been some kind of error (not sure how such an error would have come about). It would have been discovered sooner, rather than later and error pieces still with the minter or FAEMA would have been returned to the melting oven. However, Kooij prices both "normal" and "mirror image" tokens the same, indicating that both are easy to find, so both variants must have been acceptable to FAEMA.

Peter

malj1

I first found this KB068 CA In an Italian telephone catalogue but was later told (jezuss) its used in KWM coffee machines.
Malcolm

malj1

I searched Faema on Google images and became quite bewildered with the varieties  and suggested locations

Numista and Colnect suggest from Italy while catawiki prefers Belgium.

One I found does suggest Italy with a Faema type reverse. ...first image and most are from Numista]

note breaks in left frame of others
Malcolm