Early Muslim dynastic copper, Middle East, (Ayyubids?).

Started by Rangnath, August 16, 2007, 04:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

2.3 grams   16 mm   copper?

I tried to make the assumption that the "reverse" is written in Arabic.  For all I know, the obverse is also. There is not that much there though.  Even if it is Arabic, I suspect, there's not enough to aid in cataloging this coin.
What I do know is that the obverse has a pattern which is easy to remember!
It is for that reason that I thought the coin would be easy to identify. The question is: has any one seen this pattern on a coin before and can help point us in the correct direction?

richie

Rangnath

I notice that the coin reads negative space as positive.  I'll try it again upside down.

Salvete

Some coins of Vrindavan (Bindraban) struck under the Marathas show a somewhat similar shaped mark, but it points upwards, and is meant to be a fish.  I suppose this might be from a mint in the Braj area, not all of which, I venture to suggest, have yet been documented fully (or at all, in some cases).
Salvete.
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.

Oesho

It's definitely not an Indian coin, but probably an issue from the early Muslim dynasties of the Middle East. (Ayyubids?).
On one side Allah can be read  and on the other presumably Muhammad, not much for a proper attribution.

Salvete

Thanks, Oesho.  Now I can see 'Allah.'  Not my area, so I'll say no more.
Salvete
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.

Rangnath

Thanks Oesho,
I had made a serious effort to force myself to see it as a Civic Copper of Iran or Afghanistan; I like your designation better.
richie