News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Hobo nickels

Started by Figleaf, May 24, 2018, 11:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Quote from: Dennis on May 24, 2018, 10:02:33 PM
I don't suppose Hobo Nickels qualify for your "replica category"?

Don't know enough about them, but I suspect that if they're cheap, they're fake. Why not do a thread on them?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

Quote from: Dennis on May 24, 2018, 10:02:33 PM

BTW, I don't suppose Hobo Nickels qualify for your "replica category"?

I don't have any Hobo Nickels but they are popular in the US and command good prices, They do come into a different category, one of there own in fact.

An example of a hobo nickel

See Wikipedia for more quote:
The hobo nickel is a sculptural art form involving the creative modification of small-denomination coins, essentially resulting in miniature bas reliefs. The US nickel coin was favored because of its size, thickness and relative softness. However, the term hobo nickel is generic, as carvings have been made from many different denominations.

Due to its low cost and portability, this medium was particularly popular among hobos, hence the name.....
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Dennis

I bought a bunch of them from Alibaba, China's version of Amazon. They were less than $2 each with free shipping. The craftsmanship is amazing. Some are exact copies of Morgan dollars n their reverse with interesting designs on the obverse. Some are "3 legged buffalos" with interesting obverses. Here is a link to my pics:
Some are NSFW as they have some basic nudity on the obverse.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Am0C6KvA_BxKgdxGpHA2qhvMDKTwoQ

Let me know what you guys think. I got all of these coins for under $30 including shipping. The sizes are accurate and the reverse of these coins look good enough to fool most novice collectors.

Dennis

If you guys want to see what else they are selling check out this link:

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20180524160503&SearchText=Hobo+Nickels

Pretty cool novelty coins

malj1

I won't have anything to do with ali baba and his forty thieves!

None of those shown on your page are genuine Hobo nickels.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Dennis

"None of those shown on your page are genuine Hobo nickels."

"However, the term hobo nickel is generic, as carvings have been made from many different denominations."

Who's to say what's a hobo nickel and what's not? I would think these coins as well as Dan Carr coins should fall under this category. They are authentic on one side, and totally fantasy on the other. 

Arminius

Their supply and inexpensive prices are amazing, i suspect wee will find them on many flee markets and coin shows.

:-\

Figleaf

I like (cheap) altered coins. The "hobo nickels" are perfect for the Art, humour and propaganda sub-board, as the can combine all three elements. I don't mind the faking and the low prices either, as long as they are not touted as a "great investment" etc.

I do wonder about how the originals were used. Were they a source of income for the hobos?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Prosit

I don't have anything against them but in the 63 years I have been around I have never bought or owned one and have no plans to do so.
They are popular among some collectors and imo it is pretty much impossible to tell the difference between those made during the great depression and one made more recently.
There are publications about them and an expert might could tell the difference...I don't really know.
Dale

Dennis

I'm happy with the ones I bought and will likely buy many more. The quality is amazing, the prices are jaw droppingly cheap (especially with free shipping from China, I got mine in about 2 weeks) and they make interesting conversation pieces. To each his own, eh?  :D

Prosit

To each his on, Yep.

I collect a few tokens that would have most coin collectors think I'm batty.
Well, maybe I am but I still like them  ;D

Dale

Quote from: Dennis on May 25, 2018, 04:17:15 PM
I'm happy with the ones I bought and will likely buy many more. The quality is amazing, the prices are jaw droppingly cheap (especially with free shipping from China, I got mine in about 2 weeks) and they make interesting conversation pieces. To each his own, eh?  :D

jezuss

my "hobo nickels"  : http://www.jezuss.nl/ho/hobo-nickel.htm
and "hobo dollars" : http://www.jezuss.nl/ho/hobo-dollar.htm

i think these don't are altered coins, but restrikes...

brandm24

Quote from: Figleaf on May 25, 2018, 11:07:42 AMI like (cheap) altered coins. The "hobo nickels" are perfect for the Art, humour and propaganda sub-board, as the can combine all three elements. I don't mind the faking and the low prices either, as long as they are not touted as a "great investment" etc.

I do wonder about how the originals were used. Were they a source of income for the hobos?

Peter

The hobo nickels...always nickels in those days...were carved and traded for lodging, food, or anything needed to get by on the road. So, yes, they did have value but not as a "paycheck." so to speak.

I was just doing a bit of research and came across a rough list of hobo marks or symbols that were used to communicate with each other. It was a form of communication that only men of the road would understand. It gave them important information in regard to what to expect in a town, farm, or homestead. Would people help you. Would the police tolerate you or arrest you. Things like that. Very interesting. I'll post the pictures as soon as I downsize then. Didn't realize they were over the limit.

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

Ok, I got them.

Brucersz_hobo_codes (1).jpgrsz_hobo_codes.jpg 
Always Faithful

Figleaf

That set of signs show an ambivalent attitude towards jail: free food and shelter, but takes away your mobility. I am reminded of a short story (O'Henry?) where a drifter tries to get into jail for Christmas. Several attempts fail, but in the end, he succeeds. On Christmas eve, he's kicked out again because "it's Christmas".

Peter