Comments on "Robert Elderton, Coin Designer"

Started by <k>, April 16, 2011, 04:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Robert Elderton-.jpg

1] Robert Elderton at the Royal Mint in 1980. He is holding the UK coin commemorating the Queen Mother's 80th birthday.

Robert Elderton.jpg

2] Robert Elderton with Richard Guyatt, the designer of the coin.

Big_M

Missing in wildlife: Jamaica 1997 10 Dollars Manatees. I will try to get a scan from the RM Coin Club magazine.

<k>

That would be wonderful!

Quote from: <k> on March 17, 2018, 01:15:37 PM
In 1997 Jamaica issued a collector coin, as part of its occasional "Endangered Wildlife" series, which featured a manatee (Trichechus manatus). I cannot find an image of this design. Can you help? The coin was produced by the Royal Mint (UK) and apparently was only issued in sets - which sets, I do not know.

Big_M

JM1997.jpg

Jamaica 1997 $10 Manatees - picture from Royal Mint Coin Club Bulletin issue 68.

<k>

Thank you - that's wonderful. I had never even seen an image of this design.

<k>

My thanks to forum member Big_M for providing me with evidence that Robert Elderton and other Royal Mint artists produced various designs that I shall be adding to the relevant topics.

Big_M

BO_elderton_model.jpg

I do not believe it is mentioned on any of the Elderton topics: 1976 Botswana Coat of Arms MODELLED by Robert Elderton.

<k>

Yes, I tend to omit the "modelled" ones, because I think, well, he didn't invent the coat of arms, now did he?

As you can see, this topic is frequently being updated, so I will think of putting the coats of arms in their own Elderton section. I believe there are more like this. Please list them here for future reference.  ;)

eurocoin

Robert Elderton was for a significant amount of time mentor of current coin designer Jonathan Olliffe.