News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

UK Decimals: Legend Variations on the Round Pounds

Started by <k>, October 22, 2011, 01:16:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Here are the pound coin obverses showing the different portrait types. Notice how the arrangement of the legends differs from coin to coin.

From left to right: Machin portrait, Maklouf portrait, Rank Broadley portrait (pre-2007), Rank Broadley portrait (Dent series, 2008 to date).

Notice how the pound coin of the Dent series has had its beads removed. Prior to the Dent series, the penny, two pence, five pence and ten pence coins all had beads around the rim, on both obverse and reverse, but these were all removed, simultaneously with the introduction of the Dent series of reverse designs.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

<k>

Alan71

Quote from: <k> on April 01, 2017, 03:11:28 PM
Is there anything to add?
No, that's it.  Quite boring in comparison with all other denominations (apart from the half penny).

However, a closer study of the various dates might reveal minor variations.  For instance, the 1985 issue appears to have a sharper point on the cut of the neck (below the necklace).  I imagine this was the same for all denominations in 1985.  From 1986 onwards they appear to have rounded off the point slightly.  However, they appear to have achieved this not by removing anything but by altering the coup.

<k>

Again, I can't clearly see this. You obviously have very keen eyesight.

Alan71

I don't know if you caught an earlier version of that post but I speculated that the lettering of the 1985 version might be slightly different to later years.  However, it was poor quality images from the google search that was giving me that impression.  I had thought that the lack of a join in the "9" in 1985 was more apparent than it was in later years, but I don't think this is actually the case.

<k>