News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Collectors be aware of fake silver(painted) British medal on eBay

Started by plasmamix, August 10, 2017, 05:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plasmamix

I've posted on eBay.UK asking for their assistance to get the police involved, but it doesn't show up in the Buyer Central listing not sure why. I don't live in UK but hoping someone would help to call eBay.UK and the local police to avoid further fraud. I'm also a victim.
http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Buyer-Central/numerous-counterfeit-fraud-of-fake-British-silver-antique/td-p/5510838

This is the evidence on sale now and require urgent police attention.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Boxed-Medallion-Trinity-College-Dublin-To-Johannes-C-Rogers-1885/142470144691?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I believe the silver paint fake/counterfeits may also leads to other counterfeit "currency" leaking into the UK market...

capnbirdseye

Both of those are considerably different to each other, particularly with the Ebay coin bearing the words Johannes C.Rogers, counterfeits or copies have to be an attempt to deceive by making an identical copy and there is clearly no attempt whatsoever at faking the original medalion.

You say you are a victim?  have you bought one of these from somewhere?   
Vic

capnbirdseye

The seller still has 100% feedback but surely you must have given him Negative ??
Vic

plasmamix

I always leave positive feedback first thing when I receive the item.
But when coming back to check it later thgat day again and again I was terrified that I bought a paint job'd medal *sigh*.
It's not the first time as I receive bronzed(brown) painted Victorian medals before, but those are about GBP10 so I did not bother to return it back and claim the seller (just one item).

But this is something different, so far four(4) fake silver medals sold through eBay, and one is ending 18.Aug. These have higher valued. I really hope the police and eBay can stop this and check the item currently on sale as I've trying to convey it's fake. And I hope I can get my money back from this dishonest seller once he receives the fake medal I sent back.

capnbirdseye

Hopefully the seller will refund you, the problem is Ebay are useless if fakes are reported, there is a very well known seller of fake Indian coins who has been mentioned here and on Facebook coin forums and reported to Ebay Uk, Ebay India and Ebay USA as long ago as 2 years and he is still active even now so you will have problems if the seller refuses to refund you and ebay won't help but I wish you luck
Vic

malj1

I see he is an antique dealer rather than a coin dealer, he may have bought a handful of medals and be quite unaware that there is a problem.

See all his other items - these look to be alright.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

plasmamix

I think we/ppl is old & experience enough in this field to distinguish silver from painted silver fakes. Coin or antique dealer if they clearly cannot differentiate then there's just no excuse.

I've already informed the seller I'm going to return the fake medal and yet he is posting another fake medal for sale on eBay. eBay could not do anything to help seller selling fake so I hope the UK police (Auction Fraud) would look into this case asap.

What I'd do if I live in UK. Buy the medal again and go forth to the police station and cut/scratch the paint off in front of police and get them to contact the guy.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Boxed-Medallion-Trinity-College-Dublin-To-Johannes-C-Rogers-1885/142470144691?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Figleaf

If you paid by Paypal, there may still be time to block payment. This will force Ebay to take the case seriously (item not as described). Make sure you stay within all date deadlines and fulfil other requirements. Contact me by PM if Ebay wants certification that the medal is an imitation (it is not a fake).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

plasmamix

Sorry, I don't live in UK so cannot meet all the timed deadlines. It takes more than 2 weeks for me to receive the goods, so the money already paid to the seller via paypal. And resturning it back takes another two weeks, so failed to meet the return deadline as well. I've called eBay.UK few days ago to raise an appeal since the seller opened a case and eBay.UK close it within 10min in favour of seller so I cannot get a refund. The problem is they did not even bother to trace the tracking# I provided (parcel is still in transit back to UK!!!)
So I guess the "buyer protection" is totally @#$%!

Compared to cheaper copper pennies, silver spray paint onto a base metal item to make a profit and sell it as "SILVER", medal or currency alike, is definitely criminal fraud. I'm disappointed eBay.UK just do not interested in such activities and removed related info from eBay community forum. (http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Buyer-Central/numerous-counterfeit-fraud-of-fake-British-silver-antique/td-p/5510838). But this does not encourage ppl to do more crime even eBay.UK seems like in favour of it.

Figleaf

That means you totally depend on the seller's goodwill. If it's not too late, don't use negative words (like fraud or police), just return the medals and say they are not as expected, please return my money. If the seller doesn't, you are left empty-handed, but that's in fact what you are now.

Ebay facilitates the life of thieves and fraudsters. I boycott them and that is the only way never to be frustrated by their immoral behaviour.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.