News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

New pound coins in 2017

Started by andyg, March 18, 2014, 11:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AardHawk

Quote from: eurocoin on June 07, 2017, 12:38:32 PM
I have asked my contact at The Royal Mint to provide me this information.
Thank you for that, its good information.

Bimat

Have YOU got one? Rare new £1 coin found with different dates on it worth a small fortune

A WINDOW cleaner claims to have found an "extremely rare" new £1 coin which is dated 2016 - the year before it came into circulation.

PUBLISHED: 16:46, Wed, Jun 7, 2017 | UPDATED: 22:11, Wed, Jun 7, 2017

Richard Bird says hopes he Royal Mint error will land him a small fortune because it is so rare he cannot find any other examples online.

The coin has the year 2016 printed on one side of the coin - but on the converse side 2017 is engraved in micro-lettering.

The coin was not introduced into circulation until March this year.

Mr Bird, who turned to coin collecting after gaining a lot of coins during his rounds, admits spending hours raiding through change to spot a rare or special one.

Mr Bird, of Hull, West Yorkshire, said: "This one is an error coin. It's a rare one from the Royal Mint where they have just made an error in the production of it.

"I looked for information on it but couldn't find anything, apart from one mention on change-checker so I think there's only one other recorded one.

"The Royal Mint don't seem to have even realised they have made this mistake."

Money collector website Change-checker reports rumours of the existence of coins with this genuine error by the Royal Mint in production.

If it is confirmed, the website believes the rare engraving is the result of miss-matched 2016 and 2017 dies being used during production.

Mr Bird says he is so passionate about collecting coins, his local bank has even stopped allowing him to take cash out in large sums of change due to his habit.

He added: "I'm a window cleaner and get a reasonable Amount of change doing the job, and started getting into coin collecting.

"There were coins I saw pictures of, and thought I have that and it was worth money. Sometime now I will see someone with a 50p coin and say I'll give them £2 for it, and they're aghast.

"I started getting a lot of change, with work and asking for it with shops. I must have been getting £2,500 in change at times.

"I started taking it more seriously and was then selling gold and silver.

"I had been getting so much change from the bank that they wouldn't let me have more. I was chasing ice cream vans to get more change."

A spokesman for changechecker.org said: "We've heard a few reports of differing dates on either side of the new £1 coin.

"While we haven't seen any physical examples of these ourselves, it does seem to be a genuine minting error caused by using one 2016 dated die with a 2017 dated die.

"As for its value, it's always difficult to say without knowing how many have been struck in this way.

"However, a similar die error in 2008 that resulted in around 250,000 20p coins going into circulation without a date is currently worth between £50 and £75."

A veteran coin expert has labelled the rare find as one which could fetch up to a cool £3,000 - but only if it gets verified by the Royal Mint itself.

Analyst Ken Walker from Britain's largest coin catalogue site Coin Centre UK, said: "Before the coin is worth anything it would need to be sent to the Royal Mint for them to check it.

"If the coin has two different dates on, this is usually where another coin has been stuck in the dye, incused and raised.

"That could be a major error if it was verified - meaning if it went up on eBay it could go for up to £3,000."

"An error like that could be worth a lot of money if it is the case, but the price of the coin would only be nominal until then."

Asked about the quantity the dodgy coin could fetch, he added: "People list coins for huge amounts - thousands - on eBay, but it is only the price that they sell for which actually matters.

"This style of selling coins for high value is common across coin collecting and I would urge Mr Birdsays to send the coin to the Royal Mint to be checked.

"Unfortunately, until it has pedigree after being verified it is not worth anything."

Source: Express
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

From being the "most secured" coin in the world to being "most ridiculed" one...the £1 coin came a long way. ;D

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Alan71

When it was first reported that the micro-date was different on some coins to the one on the obverse, I did either get a magnifying glass or zoom in with the camera on my phone but I got a bit bored of that.  The micro-date is so small as to almost be invisible to the naked eye.  Great for people to make money on by selling on eBay, but other than that it's no big deal.

<k>

I'm sure the Asperger's brigade will love them.  :D
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

eurocoin

This mule error is, however, much more serious than the "Flag error" (Tiny CUD in the form of a flag on the WOI 2 pound coin of 2015), the "8th wisker error" (tiny die break on Peter Rabbit 50p), etc. which collectors seem to love and which sell for a premium. That first one comes with a complete legend about the existence of 2 different designs (one with and one without flag in the mast of the ship) and that the Royal Mint accidently mixed them and does not know how many were made.

Furthermore the existence of this mule error was already reported long ago (and as prime!) on WOC here. I know this Rich Bird and he is spreading complete rubbish through the media. He knows there have at least 40 of these been reported as having been found but he just wants to make his piece more valuable by spreading fake news about only 1 other in existence.

eurocoin

Photos of discolouration and oxidation:

eurocoin

Approximately 5.7 million coins were minted with the mule error (2016 on obverse/2017 on reverse), of which an unknown amount was discovered and destroyed.

andyg

I've now personally handled about 10,000 new pound coins, rusted or discoloured coins must be quite rare as I've not found a single one yet.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Figleaf

Try treating a good one with vinegar and see a genuine mint error appear before your very eyes >:D

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Alan71

I find it very hard to believe that discoloured or oxidised £1 coins is as big a problem as the media or some forum members would like to think it is.  It appears to be the nickel-brass part that's discoloured in photos.  If, as Peter points out, it's vinegar that can do this then it's been possible to cause this for 34 years.

I'm also surprised that the Royal Mint has bothered to destroy mis-matched main and micro dates.  I gave up long ago getting the magnifying glass out, the micro-date is far too small. 

eurocoin

Quote from: Alan71 on July 16, 2017, 09:34:41 PMI find it very hard to believe that discoloured or oxidised £1 coins is as big a problem as the media or some forum members would like to think it is.

The media has as far as I know not reported on this. Nobody has ever claimed it is a big problem. Over 1 billion coins have so far been minted so it is no more than normal that a number of coins are errors. The problem is more than likely the same that also affected a certain amount of the 10 Rupees coin of the Seychelles.

eurocoin

According to an announcement of the treasury earlier today, there are now more new 12-sided pound coins in circulation than circular pounds.

eurocoin

Some further images of tarnished coins, clearly the same issue as with the Seychelles coins.

andyg

Still yet to find one - and I've looked at several hundred per day, these must be quite valuable.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....