News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Hosting and embedding on WoC

Started by <k>, July 04, 2017, 01:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What Should be the Maximum Allowable Size of Attachment?

Current limit of 128 kb per attachment is enough
10 (90.9%)
256 kb per attachment
0 (0%)
512 kb per attachment
0 (0%)
1 MB per attachment
0 (0%)
No limit
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: July 12, 2017, 03:46:29 PM

capnbirdseye

I put 250Kb  :-[  even though I am more than happy with the way it is - simply because the photo's straight off my camera with lowest settings come out around that size and I wouldn't have to mess around reducing them,  in reality it takes just a few seconds to lower the res with the Photoscape slider so if I could alter it my vote goes with the majority at the current setting
Vic

Bimat

I have now modified the poll settings. You can change your vote if you wish. ;)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

FosseWay

I voted to keep the limit as it is.

Unless you habitually upload photos of plåtmynt, that size should be plenty big enough for objects that in real life rarely exceed 40 x 40 mm. I would rather we were able to gather as many pictures as possible on WoC, than pander to people who refuse to follow instructions and upload images with unnecessarily high resolution or a huge amount of blank space around the coin.

As we have said multiple times over the years, you do not need any special software to produce WoC-compatible pictures. You do not even need to download any of the various free programs (though as Malcolm said, learning to use them is an advantage in itself) - Windows Paint or Mac Preview are automatically installed with the respective OS and offer everything you need to remove unwanted parts of images and resize them.

izotz

Hi all,

Sorry I didn't reply to this before but I'm currently off, with limited connectivity.

Not much to add to Figleaf's words. As a technology enthusiast, I'm usually quite open to offer new features in general. For example, I try to keep forum software up to date, as this allows us to get the latest and greatest in terms of functionality and security. But at the same time, mods are usually poorly maintained, so most times the main issue is not only that they don't give you what you need, but that they have not been updated in the last 5 years and therefore they will not work with our current version.

Even if having to convert the file to an appropriate format (jpg, gif, etc) and size looks like a hurdle, I think it shouldn't be too bad as long as other members are happy to help giving directions, and actually it may be an useful learning for many other purposes.

I should be more accessible in two weeks, when I'll try to catch up with a couple of pending topics. Thanks for your patience.

malj1

Quote from: FosseWay on July 06, 2017, 11:44:11 AM
As we have said multiple times over the years, you do not need any special software to produce WoC-compatible pictures. You do not even need to download any of the various free programs (though as Malcolm said, learning to use them is an advantage in itself) - Windows Paint or Mac Preview are automatically installed with the respective OS and offer everything you need to remove unwanted parts of images and resize them.

Windows 10 have just added a new Paint 3D which is even more useful.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.