Hosting and embedding on WoC

Started by <k>, July 04, 2017, 01:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What Should be the Maximum Allowable Size of Attachment?

Current limit of 128 kb per attachment is enough
10 (90.9%)
256 kb per attachment
0 (0%)
512 kb per attachment
0 (0%)
1 MB per attachment
0 (0%)
No limit
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: July 12, 2017, 03:46:29 PM

<k>

Quote from: Figleaf on July 04, 2017, 12:59:29 PM
Here's another option: you can use this thread to get your pictures on the WoC site. They will be available for embedding elsewhere on the site.

Peter

I tried that once, but the images are hidden in the Living Room. So, you only see the links to those images, IF YOU ARE LOGGED IN AS A MEMBER. If you log out, and look at the linked image in a public board, it then does not appear. Solution: move the Picture container thread to a public board, without restrictions, such as Coin Collecting, and keep it locked. It does not matter if surfers can see it - either they will enjoy looking at it or just ignore it.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Figleaf

The solution would be worse than the problem. Moving the thread would break the links to it. They'd have to be repaired one by one by hand. Locking the thread would make it inaccessible to members, except anointed (global) moderators and administrators.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

Quote from: Figleaf on July 04, 2017, 01:19:49 PM
Moving the thread would break the links to it.
Peter

True - I didn't think of that.  :(  So, the Picture container thread is still only a solution for members who are logged in. Otherwise, it's still a big task to restore all those images.  :'(

malj1

How about Picture container no.2 somewhere else? such as Computer and forum software issues and pinned at the top.

or a name like ex-photobucket or similar.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

<k>

Quote from: malj1 on July 04, 2017, 01:34:59 PM
How about Picture container no.2 somewhere else? such as Computer and forum software issues and pinned at the top.

That's a good idea. But will every member be able to post? What about those who post for maybe a month and then never return?

Figleaf

That's fine. Anybody can open such a thread...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

Quote from: malj1 on July 04, 2017, 01:34:59 PM

Just a thought - the Computer and forum software issues board is also private to members. Linked images will not be displayed to surfers. I suggest putting it in the Coin Collecting board instead, then the linked images will be public.

malj1

Quote from: <k> on July 04, 2017, 01:48:04 PM
...What about those who post for maybe a month and then never return?

They could, in may cases, be deleted to clean up the threads. After a simple check to see when they last visited the forum.
Malcolm

Figleaf

I can see a case for cleaning up useless fuzzy and too-small images abandoned by the owners, but good pictures ought to stay, even with the owners gone with the wind.

Peter

malj1

I only meant those images that have been replaced by a Photobucket tag image rendering these threads useless with no hope of the member returning.
Malcolm

Bimat

I'm really not bothered about images posted by 'short term' members. If their images are lost permanently, let them be. Let us try to 'save' images of regular members by some means. If not all, then at least maximum of them!

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

capnbirdseye

I'm getting a bit confused as to why we need a board to put photo's on and then link them to your post  ???   why not just add the photo direct to your post in the first place?
Vic

Figleaf

@ mal: We agree. Those are useless.

@Capn: Posting and embedding is a trick to get pictures within a text, rather than at the end. It's normally not very important, but in long posts it is useful to have pics near the part of the text that refers to them.

Peter

capnbirdseye

Quote from: Figleaf on July 04, 2017, 03:09:54 PM
@ mal: We agree. Those are useless.

@Capn: Posting and embedding is a trick to get pictures within a text, rather than at the end. It's normally not very important, but in long posts it is useful to have pics near the part of the text that refers to them.

Peter

I understand it now, rarely making really long posts myself it's not occured to me I suppose
Vic

eurocoin

What are the possibilities of abandoning the 126kb limit? And how can the problems that arise from that be solved?

Everyone will understand that if we get rid of the 126kb limit and introduce such topic as suggested by <k>, the problem will be solved for the future and the now gone images can be re-uploaded. A board in which everyone is allowed to start a topic with his/her image container, only if the member feels he needs such thing.

We have at present 2,550 messages that contain 1 or more images that are hosted on Photobucket. A few thousand images on this forum that are being hosted on Photobucket have now been blocked. Photobucket was already struggling and it is to be expected that the company will be out of business soon, rendering all Photobucket images on this forum useless. There are no backups in the Webarchive, Archive.is and Google Cache as Photobucket does not allow crawlers. Other image hosting sites too are struggling (e.g. Postimage).

This problem should be taken serious. The number of page views on the forum has decreased for years now and I am sure  things will only get worse if no long-term solution will be put in place.

Making sure the forum will still be here in the future is also about ensuring that no content gets lost.