News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Bukhara, tanka 1027-54AH (1611-42AD), counterstamp i.n.o Imam Quli Khan (Janid)

Started by Figleaf, April 25, 2017, 09:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Haven't got a clue about this one, but proud of the picture, which shows more than the actual coin. This came in a lot of Bukharan coins. Low grade silver, 4.2 grams.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

saro

I suggest that it could be a Janid coin from Bukhara  ???
a part of "Bahadur" is present at bottom left of 1st picture which could belong to the ruler's title : "Wali Muhammad Bahadur" or better "Muhammad Rahim Bahadur" (final letter "M" before "Bahad(ur), I think)
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Figleaf

:applause: :applause: :applause:

While it's not in Mitchiner (never a problem), it fits in with what Mitchiner does list. I had not expected that this coin would have been so difficult to identify, but the silence of a distinguished group of experts was eloquent. Your extraordinary clever suggestion is clearly based on all available evidence and I'll happily go with it, but not before thanking you for the time and effort you have put into this beautiful coin. :bow:

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Overlord

Figleaf

Overlord

Was silver a part of the natural composition of the alloy? If not, I am curious as to why one would deliberately want to add a very low amount of silver to a coin. If it were silver wash, it would at least be in your face.

Figleaf

Good point! The usual situation (think of Henry VIII as a perfect example) is that in times of war, the government budget gets into deficit (silver that was in the treasury gets into circulation), stoking high inflation (people complain about high prices).

As the treasury is in danger of running dry and endangering the war effort, the ruler diminishes the amount of silver in the coins (devalues the currency). The coins look worse, especially after  some circulation, people are wary of them, but soldiers insist that the coins they received as wages are accepted at face. Prices go up even more, so the soldiers want higher pay as compensation. The ruler diminishes the amount of silver even more and a vicious circle starts, making the coins look more like copper than silver. Remember that copper was long not a coin metal, so even a low silver content coin looking like copper was counted as (bad) silver.

The cycles usually end with succession, peace or conquest: the new ruler issues good silver coins with a smaller size and withdraws the bad old stuff. As a transition measure, the old coins may be counterstamped and devalued, with derogatory remarks on how the old regime failed as appropriate. The counterstamps are handy to see which coins to withdraw and (later) which are no longer valid. Counterstamping attracts a fee, of course.

In this case, the Janids were under pressure from the Persians and their stooges, the Mangits. The Janids lost, not long after these coins were issued.

Peter

Oesho

Figleaf

Confirmed by Zeno. The "Bahadur" fits right in. If only you know where to look on Zeno... I would like to donate the picture to Zeno, but I am not a member (too difficult). I would be grateful if a WoC member would post it on Zeno.

Many thanks!

Peter

Oesho

Peter, You are welcome. I can add it to ZENO.
Send me the images, weight and size, etc.