News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

The Netherlands: Unrealised war coins by Nico de Haas

Started by eurocoin, April 11, 2017, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

In this topic can be seen what the Dutch coins of World War II would have originally looked like. For information on the realised coins and further background information on the war, have a look at The Netherlands under Nazi Occupation.

The blue descriptions that come with every design in this topic are exactly as has been written in a letter by designer Nico de Haas. I found the particular letter among archive records of the Dutch State Treasury that are stored at the National Archives in The Hague. To read this letter (which is in Dutch) have a look here and here.

eurocoin

The first and very common symbol is the straight cross +, depicted here in a writing style commonly used in the Netherlands, as it occurs time and again in our patriotic folk art. By adding two sunbirds, I gave this symbol a special meaning as the expression of the Frankish part of our people.

The minting of the coins had already started when Reichskommissar Arthur Seyss-Inquart objected to the round hole in the coin. He considered it to be Kitsch. In the documents that I have seen, no specific reason was given for the exclusion of the sun birds which were an important part of the concept behind the designs of the coins as these birds represented the Frankish people. The issued coins also had 4 wavelets instead of the 3 on these rejected pieces.

Note: like the issued coins, the rejected piece also depicts the mintmark of the Royal Dutch Mint. Unfortunately it is almost invisible in the image above.

eurocoin

The issued 1 cent coin.

eurocoin

For the second symbol I used the "Oelebord", the well-known Frisian tribal symbol, which even today can still be seen throughout the entire Frisian land in thousands of variations. Here too is a pair of sunbirds, here characterised as swans, which flank the tulip or Driespruit, the symbol of the indestructible life of our people.

This coin wasn't issued for the same reason as the one above. Again because Reichskommissar Arthur Seyss-Inquart considered the hole in the coin to be Kitsch. The minting of the coins was immediately halted when the Royal Dutch Mint was informed by the Treasury about the rejection. The issued coins also had 4 wavlets instead of the 3 on this rejected piece.

eurocoin

The issued 2,5 cents coin.

eurocoin

The tree, in the form of the "Driekruinenboom", also symbolises power and the heights reached by our tribe, as well as freedom in the sense of our people. This tree decorates the coat of arms of our fatherland's family. People used to dance and plant these trees, accompanied by blessings. Anyone looking at this coin will understand these blessings.

Reichskommissar Arthur Seyss-Inquart didn't consider the "Driekruinenboom" (three crowns tree) to be a Germanic symbol, and therefore he regarded it as kitsch.

eurocoin

The realised 10 cent coin which was also designed by Nico de Haas depicts 3 tulips.

eurocoin

Special thanks to <k> for the translations and some of the images.

<k>

Excellent research!  8)  I specifically asked whether there were any unrealised Dutch designs from World War 2. I was very surprised and pleased to see these fascinating pieces.

Incidentally, eurocoin did the translation from Dutch. I simply tweaked one or two parts that were difficult to render in English.

Superb topic. I will make a link to it from my Dutch WW2 topic.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

In 1943 the Netherlands issued a set of stamps based on old Germanic symbols.

Its themes are in some ways similar to those of the occupation coin designs.

The 1½ cent stamp seems to show a "three crown tree".

Figleaf

While the coins were designed by Nico de Haas, the stamps you show were done by Piet (Pyke) Koch. The similarity of the two series of designs is probably due to a similar mandate from the Seyss-Inquart administration.

IIRC, Seyss-Inquart just didn't like the holes and motivated only his rejection of the triple crown tree as "Kitsch", a German expression, roughly meaning "popular, but in very poor taste".

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

Thank you, Figleaf. Another interesting artist who had his career spoilt, post-war, because of his collaboration.

So the Nazis still left problems and bitterness, long after they were gone.

eurocoin

Quote from: Figleaf on April 24, 2017, 10:53:48 PMIIRC, Seyss-Inquart just didn't like the holes and motivated only his rejection of the triple crown tree as "Kitsch", a German expression, roughly meaning "popular, but in very poor taste".

I have uploaded the only letter I found relating to this here and if I interpret it well, it says that he found the hole in the coins as well as the triple crown tree Kitsch.

Figleaf

I think the phrase "The objections (of Seyss-Inquart) concern in particular the 'Kitsch' of the tree of life and the hole in the coins" can be explained both ways, also in Dutch.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

eurocoin

Dutch: "De bezwaren richten zich vooral tegen de "Kitsch" van den levensboom en van het gat in de munten".

Translation: "The objections concern particularly the "Kitsch" of the tree of life and of the hole in the coins".