Triskele!

Started by Prosit, November 09, 2009, 12:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbadexample

Bank penny token 1811 (KM# Tn10).

Figleaf

Looks like a detector (sand?) find, "decorated" free of charge by either an agriculture implement or the detectorist's shovel. Since all the details are clear, I tend to find the satiny field and pristine look more important.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

mrbadexample

It's a flan flaw Peter. There is another similar one on ebay here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ISLE-OF-MAN-CASTLETOWN-1811-PENNY-BANK-ISSUE-RARE-MINT-CONDITION-/222435800609?hash=item33ca34f621:g:hoEAAOSwzJ5Xb9J1

(Seller's picture below)

I'm not sure what causes it, but as it was made like this I find it much more acceptable than post mint damage. It retains some of the original lustre, although I am unable to capture this in my pictures.

I am also quite unable to fathom where the ebay seller found their price.  ::)

Prosit

It seems to me that quite a number of eBay sellers, in listing under a lot of different categories and from many hobbies, pull prices out of their....A...uh....hat! ;)

Dale

Quote from: mrbadexample on March 22, 2017, 05:40:30 PM

I  am also quite unable to fathom where the ebay seller found their price.  ::)

Figleaf

Quote from: mrbadexample on March 22, 2017, 05:40:30 PM
It's a flan flaw Peter.

Odd. What caused the crack? Flan too cold or uneven cooling would have made multiple and smaller cracks all around. Badly mixed metals would have shown up as top layer peeling off.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Prosit

Simply not annealed properly maybe.

Dale

malj1

Its hard to find in such nice condition as most are very worn.

My one is not as nice but interestingly has a flan flaw too.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

Quote from: Prosit on March 22, 2017, 10:05:38 PM
Simply not annealed properly maybe.

A heating-cooling process can cause cracks when metals are not properly mixed, but AFAIK, these tokens are 100% copper.

Peter

malj1

There is another similar example here
Malcolm

<k>

Isle of Man, 1 pound, 2000.  Millennium theme.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

mrbadexample

Another 1709 issue.

malj1

My 1709 issues are in a similar condition although your one I think is nicer. The tail of the 9 is always off the flan.

The condition is usually blamed on the fact they are cast, but I once saw for sale a pair of both penny and halfpenny in almost perfect condition. At a huge price I might add!  ::)
Malcolm

mrbadexample

I've never seen these in "perfect" condition. As a result I have no real idea how to grade this. I would suggest Fine, possibly good Fine, based on this DNW auction: https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/lot-archive/lot.php?department=Coins&lot_id=277596

I suspect that you paid a bit less for yours Mal (although I wasn't disappointed with what I paid for this one), as you purchased them quite some time ago. :)

andyg

I used to have a battle over these with a buyer on ebay from the Isle of Man, as a consequence I bid him up to around £75 for each one that came up for sale.  Why he had to buy every example is beyond me - I would have been quite happy once I'd won one and gone away, but he had to win them all ::)

I did eventually find them from a local dealer....
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

mrbadexample

Quote from: andyg on July 29, 2017, 11:12:09 PM
I used to have a battle over these with a buyer on ebay from the Isle of Man, as a consequence I bid him up to around £75 for each one that came up for sale.  Why he had to buy every example is beyond me - I would have been quite happy once I'd won one and gone away, but he had to win them all ::)

I did eventually find them from a local dealer....

I saw that in your earlier post and was quite pleased I didn't have to join the fight!  ;D I did pay the £75 though... :-\