New pound coins in 2017

Started by andyg, March 18, 2014, 11:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan71

My 2017 coin set arrived today with the new £1 coin included.  The specifications state the inner disc of the coin to be made from "nickel-plated nickel-brass".  Therefore the whole coin is still nickel-brass, merely with part of it nickel plated!

mrbadexample

Can you tell if it's two separate pieces like the £2, or one piece part-plated?

Alan71

Quote from: mrbadexample on January 07, 2017, 11:54:30 AM
Can you tell if it's two separate pieces like the £2, or one piece part-plated?
It's difficult to tell.  The "join" on the (Britannia) £2 looks more pronounced in places, but I think the £1 is still two pieces of metal.  Seems odd that they didn't go with cupro-nickel for the centre, to match the £2. The two coins do compliment each other in the set.  I'm glad they went for a nickel-brass outer rather than "doing a Euro" and having the metals the opposite way round.

augsburger

I'd guess having different metals helps coin vendors a lot.

Bimat

Trial versions of new £1 coin already selling for £200 on eBay but you CAN'T spend them in the shops

BY TARA EVANS, DIGITAL CONSUMER EDITOR 2nd February 2017, 4:56 pm

Hundreds of the coins which were made by The Royal Mint and given to retailers to test are being flogged on the auction website – with some fetching as much as £200.

But these coins are not legal tender and can't be used in shops – even when the new £1 coin goes into circulation at the end of March.

The coins aren't even considered rare, according to The Royal Mint.

Around 200,000 "trial piece" coins have been made so far. They are supposed to be used by vending machines, supermarket chains and banks so that they will be ready for the new coin's introduction in March.

The new coin, dubbed the "most secure" in the world, features a hologram at the bottom which shows a £ symbol and the number one depending on the light.

Source: The Sun
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

The sun calls these trial pieces 'Fakes', which is obviously wrong. They are not legal tender but that doesn't make them fake!

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

eurocoin

Interesting, first time The Royal Mint mentions the mintage figure of the trial 1 pound coins. Until now that was still 'strictly confidential information'.

Bimat

£200 or so for a trial piece, where some 200,000 of them exist, is certainly not a good deal, right? ;)

Aditya

chrisild

Quote from: Bimat on February 03, 2017, 11:22:52 AM
£200 or so for a trial piece, where some 200,000 of them exist, is certainly not a good deal, right? ;)

But aren't those who use these test pieces supposed to return them? So 200,000 would not be the mintage available to collectors. ;)

Christian

eurocoin

Quote from: chrisild on February 03, 2017, 05:38:36 PM
But aren't those who use these test pieces supposed to return them? So 200,000 would not be the mintage available to collectors. ;)

Christian

Yes they are supposed to return them but if they don't they have to pay a fine of 80p, and as most people know these are worth a lot of money, only very very few of these 200,000 have been returned.

Bimat

Royal Mint, on its Facebook page, has said that put of around 1.5 billion new £1 coins, more than half a billion coins will be dated 2016.

Aditya

malj1

This is when the current £1 coin ceases to be legal tender this year

The UK Treasury has urged people not to be caught out when the current £1 coin becomes worthless later this year. See video and more.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

eurocoin

Small overview:

UK: Round 1 pound coin ceases to be legal tender on October 15. New 1 pound coin to be introduced for circulation 28th March 2017.

Isle of Man and Gibraltar:

Round UK 1 pound coin remains in circulation. New UK 1 pound coin to be introduced for circulation 28th March 2017.
Round IOM and Gibraltar 1 pound coins will remain in circulation. No new 12-sided IOM and Gibraltar 1 pound coins. There will however this year be introduced a new design on the round pound coins.

On the Isle of Man round UK pound coins will be sorted out and returned to the UK so that eventually only the new UK 1 pound coin and the round Manx 1 pound coin will remain in circulation.

Falkland Islands:

Round UK 1 pound coin ceases to be legal tender on October 15. New UK 1 pound coin to be introduced for circulation 28th March 2017. Round Falkland Islands 1 pound coins remain in circulation. For now no changes whatsoever will be made to it.

Guernsey and Jersey:

Round UK 1 pound coin ceases to be legal tender on October 15. New UK 1 pound coin to be introduced for circulation 28th March 2017.
Round Guernsey and Jersey 1 pound coins and cease to be legal tender on October 15. The square circulating commemorative 1 pound coin of Jersey of 1981 ceased to be legal tender on October 15. No new 12-sided Guernsey and Jersey 1 pound coin.

Alan71

It will be interesting to see what Isle of Man do for their coin sets in future.  Having apparently stopped the 1p and 2p, the absence of the £1 would reduce their sets to six coins (including their £5 coin).  Similar with Gibraltar, though I know they don't produce sets as often.

I still find it surprising that both Isle of Man and Gibraltar are planning on having both versions of the coin indefinitely.  They'll get no more round ones coming over from the UK, and none will be taken back by tourists, so they'll be stuck with both, with gradually more and more of the new version.  Guernsey's plan is much more sensible (and I'm assuming Jersey will follow suit).

<k>

Quote from: eurocoin on February 23, 2017, 06:39:44 PM
Small overview:

Sorry, it's not big enough.  :P  What about Jersey, the Falkland Islands and St. Helena-Ascension?

Alderney issues round pound collector coins. Will future versions match the new UK 12-sided pound?
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.