Ireland: ATMs to Dispense More €10, €20 Notes by 2018

Started by Bimat, January 09, 2017, 04:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

The Central Bank wants bank ATMs to dispense more €10 notes

THE CENTRAL BANK has set targets for banks to dispense more €10 and €20 notes from their ATMs.

In an effort to make lower denomination notes more available to cash users, the Central Bank has set targets for the banks to issue more €10, €20 and €50 notes by 2018.

These targets were calculated following a study of consumer requirements and their patterns of cash usage.

Finance Minister Michael Noonan said the move follows a recommendation in the National Payments Plan (the plan aims to make savings of €1 billion annually to the Irish economy by increasing the use of electronic forms of payment such as debit cards and electronic banking).

Targets set

The targets are that 6-10% of all notes are to be €10 notes by the end of 2018, while 40-45% of all notes by volume are to be €20 notes.

A total of 45-50% of all notes are to be €50 notes.

Data from the third quarter of 2016, reveals that just 7% of all notes dispensed are €10 notes, while 34% of all notes are €20 notes. The most common note dispensed is the €50 note – with 59%.

Fianna Fáil's Michael McGrath said making lower amounts more available would be a lot more convenient for members of the public.

"I personally can't remember the last time I got a €10 note at an ATM machine. It would be a lot more convenient for consumers and retailers if more €10 and €20 notes were dispensed at ATM machines."

McGrath said cash is often needed for some services.

Noonan said the Central Bank is working with the commercial banks to ensure the banks meet the new targets.

"This topic is a permanent agenda item at the National Cash Forum which is chaired by the Central Bank, and is also discussed at bilateral meetings with banks by the Central Bank," said the minister.

He said the Central Bank requests regular updates from the commercial banks on their progress towards achieving these targets "and continues to challenge them in relation to the number of €10 and €20 banknotes being dispensed in their ATMs".

Source: The Journal
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

Curious to know: Do the ATMs also dispense higher denomination (€100, €200 or even €500) banknotes? I don't think so...

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

chrisild

Don't know about Ireland; here in Germany some ATMs will give you €100 notes. But even that is rare. If I withdraw, say, €300, I usually get five €50 notes, the rest is a mix of €5/€10/€20. Many ATMs will also let you specify what denominations you want. €200 or even €500 from an ATM? Nevvah. :)

Christian

Figleaf

Same in France. Everything is possible up to €50 notes. The high value notes circulate only exceptionally. I wonder where people get them. My son recently observed that under current banking rules, he cannot take out his monthly salary in cash in a month.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.