Image sizes and graphics packages

Started by <k>, November 04, 2016, 02:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

It's interesting to see the dimensions of images compared to their size in KB.

Image by Pabitra - size 102 kb.

Image by chrisild - size 42 kb.

Screen capture by <k> - size 118 kb.

I still use PaintShopPro 2000.  Generally I use the "compress" function. For a small image, I compress by around 18%, for medium images from around 24% to around 32%, but around 40% or more for very large images. Normally you can't tell the quality difference if you use the compression function wisely. It would be interesting to hear about your methods. Perhaps not all graphics packages include compression functions these days, but that leads to a lot of wasted space when small-sized images get uploaded with heavy file sizes.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

malj1

I use Microsoft Office picture Manager which always gives good results.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

<k>

With PSP, I can reduce the picture size (how much space it takes up on the screen), and the amount of detail (by using the compression function), which also reduces the file size (KB usage). Does Microsoft Office Picture Manager also have a compression function?

malj1

Yes it has both settings; the resize you can increase or decrease to any size (within reason) or compress to three fixed sizes - the web page size I normally use. Usually around 30kp
Malcolm

<k>

Looks good. With PSP, for jpgs you can set the compression value from 1 (low) to 99 (high), and the function tells you roughly how many kb your resultant image will be.

malj1

This can be checked also in a roundabout way by opening in compress [without compressing] and the size is shown in kb
Malcolm

Bimat

It's not only about pixel size of the image. If you save it with '.jpg' or '.jpeg' extension, it takes much lesser size. A '.png' extension means much higher size, even if the pixel size is exactly same.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Pabitra

Malcolm
Do you have any suggestion for any App under iOS?

malj1

I have no idea about Apple as I only use Windows10 and a Samsung Galaxy phone.
Malcolm

Levantiner

Quote from: Bimat on November 05, 2016, 12:41:21 PM
It's not only about pixel size of the image. If you save it with '.jpg' or '.jpeg' extension, it takes much lesser size. A '.png' extension means much higher size, even if the pixel size is exactly same.

Aditya

Every time you open and re-save a Jpeg you loose information. Jpegs are not  ideal for long term storage of Photos, Tiff is a much more reliable file format.  My camera produces 128mb (uncompressed raw)   Photos. I Process those in Capture one Pro 10  and for posting on line  I use Photoshop elements.    The issue I have with this forum the reduction needed to post sees a substantial degradation in image quality.